Building Crash Free Games

JohnE5

I am nearly finished with a new game and I want to make sure it works for everyone well. I've heard that Garmins have unusual problems that cause crashes. For instance, using "on click" events. I have tons of those programed in my game, I don't see how to get around using it but apparently it makes Garmins crash?

Is there a list of work-arounds? Maybe a do/do not list for building? Does Urwigo automatically audit for these crashes?

Earwigo pops up a message when you use (most of) the features which are known to crash specific (by which I mean, Garmin (by which I mean, mostly Oregon)) players.

Here's the current Earwigo checklist:

- onClick() doesn't work

- Zone-specific commands are not available

- Play Alert Sound crashes the Oregon and does nothing on the Colorado

- Show Screen, with any other parameter than "Main", crashes the Oregon

- Displaying texts (Dialog or Message) longer than about 850 characters can cause the Garmin player to crash or hang; every player presumably has some upper limit for this

Edited by sTeamTraen
What are 'zone-specific commands'?

You can have a command which works "on" a zone, just as you can have a command which works "on" an item. So an item called "box" could have a command "unlock", which is active if you have a key; a zone called "lawn" could have a command "water" or "mow".

Thx for the answer.

As I didn’t even know that you can add commands to zones this can’t be the reason why my cartridge crashes every now and then.

Generally my cartigde runs pretty stable but after a restore it is prone to crash. I wonder why (of course I’m already trying to bypass the known Oregon bugs that are mentioned in this and other threads of this forum).