Help! Grabbed own TB

Guest Seesthewind

Guest Seesthewind

This question may have already been asked and answered. If I haven't read the posts thoroughly enough, I apologize.

I think I misunderstood the "Groundspeak Travel Bugs: How To" page. I have grabbed my own Travel Bug out of my cache. I tried to replace it following the instructions for "Placing a Travel Bug in a Cache". I don't think the replacement was succesful. The page for my TB indicates that I grabbed it but doesn't show that I put it back. Also, I don't see any indication (bug logo) that my cache contains a TB.

Does all this mean that a finder of my cache cannot log the removal of my TB and its placement in another cache? If so, how do I remedy this situation? The cache is called "Forks OF The Smith" (Zip Code 95531).

Guest Markwell

First, go to the TB page and see if it still says it's in your "possession."

If it is, try making a log entry to the Fork cache page (you can use "other") and make sure you select at the bottom of the page that you are dropping off your TB. Let the system catch up to you, and everything should be cool.

If not, write Jeremy and let him know what the heck is going on. He should be able to fix it for you.

Okay, deep breath, it will be alright icon_smile.gif

Log into geocaching.com, and go to the cache you want the bug to be in. Now click on the Log a find link just as if you were going to log a find on this cache. Use the 'Other' category, and just write a simple note that you dropped off your Travel Bug into this cache. Now use the menu at the bottom of the log screen to indicate which bug you dropped off here, then submit the log.

The icon will now appear on this cache, and a log will automaticaly be made on the travel bug's page.

One last step. If you have a log on the travel bug's page from when you accidentally grabbed the bug, you might want to delete that log.

Okay, deep breath, it will be alright icon_smile.gif

Log into geocaching.com, and go to the cache you want the bug to be in. Now click on the Log a find link just as if you were going to log a find on this cache. Use the 'Other' category, and just write a simple note that you dropped off your Travel Bug into this cache. Now use the menu at the bottom of the log screen to indicate which bug you dropped off here, then submit the log.

The icon will now appear on this cache, and a log will automaticaly be made on the travel bug's page.

One last step. If you have a log on the travel bug's page from when you accidentally grabbed the bug, you might want to delete that log.

Guest Hawk-eye

I think I've done this correctly ... but please ... would someone verify ... I've just released my first bug ... "BUBBA" ... got it verified and thumbnailed and all ... and it showed in my possession ... so far so good ... so I wanted to place it in one of my caches ... I logged just like mentioned above and it is now in HAWK 1-A ... just as I intended ... but on my cache page ... it shows a "logged entry" ... is there anyway to "release" a bug without logging an entry? Say for example I'm creating a new cache ... I don't see anything in the creating a cache sheet to also note a bug ... is the only way to do it ... to log as an "other"?

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

I think I've done this correctly ... but please ... would someone verify ... I've just released my first bug ... "BUBBA" ... got it verified and thumbnailed and all ... and it showed in my possession ... so far so good ... so I wanted to place it in one of my caches ... I logged just like mentioned above and it is now in HAWK 1-A ... just as I intended ... but on my cache page ... it shows a "logged entry" ... is there anyway to "release" a bug without logging an entry? Say for example I'm creating a new cache ... I don't see anything in the creating a cache sheet to also note a bug ... is the only way to do it ... to log as an "other"?

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
is there anyway to "release" a bug without logging an entry? Say for example I'm creating a new cache ... I don't see anything in the creating a cache sheet to also note a bug ... is the only way to do it ... to log as an "other"?

The answer is yes! Use "Add a note" or "Other".

If you add a note to any cache page and add your bug from your inventory and enter your log.

Then come back and delete your entry from the cache page. the bug will magicly still remain on the cache page bug inventory.

What's really bad is when a dragon eats you.

Captain Walker, Frodo & the gang

Dark River Rangers, Florida Company.