Paperless caching - options & limits for diff gps?

EFLFT

I'm trying to decide what GPS I want (and yes, I've read all the reviews already, which has in some ways just confused me more!).

I want it almost exclusively for geocaching. I want something that is accurate, easy to use, easy to maintain cache lists. I currently use my blackberry and geonav or blackstar apps. I like having aerial view available in addition to street view, but I want something that won't break the first time I trip in the mud.

I would also really like to be able to view a bunch of caches on one map, so I can see which one to head for next instead of going around in circles based on the GPS's next closest.

I'm considering the Oregon 450 (or 550?) or the Mag Explorer 610. I'm open to other suggestions, as well. I want something that is going to last a few years, something that isn't on the verge of extinct technology, etc.

So here are my questions:

1. Does "supports paperless caching" actually matter ... versus using GSAK macros to upload the caches? (like I do now with my auto nuvi)

2. Most of them say they hold a max of 1000 caches ... is that the actual max total? What if it offers a memory card expansion, can I hold more? I like to run a lot of queries and have the data stored and available so I don't have to plan every little adventure right before. I saw the Mag Explorer 610 holds 10k versus the Oregon 1k ... so I'd like to understand if that is a "real" stat or if it can hold more.

3. Does lifetime map subscription for Garmin work between multiple GPS units owned by the same person?

Thanks in advance! Happy Thanksgiving!

I would also really like to be able to view a bunch of caches on one map, so I can see which one to head for next instead of going around in circles based on the GPS's next closest. I would think that most GPS units can manage this these days. The 450 you mention certainly does.

I'm considering the Oregon 450 (or 550?) or the Mag Explorer 610. I'm open to other suggestions, as well. I want something that is going to last a few years, something that isn't on the verge of extinct technology, etc. The 450 is still the most current Garmin of its type. The 550 is just an extension in terms of a few features re: camera.

So here are my questions:

1. Does "supports paperless caching" actually matter ... versus using GSAK macros to upload the caches? (like I do now with my auto nuvi) You bet it does. Trying to get display of descriptions, last 4 logs, hints, etc. using GSAK is problematic at best. The more recent Garmin offerings store all of that on-board and natively as part of the *.gpx file.

2. Most of them say they hold a max of 1000 caches ... is that the actual max total? What if it offers a memory card expansion, can I hold more? The 450's maximum is 5000 (not 1000), and it doesn't matter how much external memory you load up. Storing caches as caches (not POI or somesuch), it's 5000. This is partly due to the way the 450 stores certain cache information in internal memory.

3. Does lifetime map subscription for Garmin work between multiple GPS units owned by the same person? Garmin's maps are typically keyed to a single GPS unit. That said, you can get all of the free topos for the 450 that you can imagine at www.gpsfiledepot.com. If you need more "street" oriented maps (the topos show streets, too), there are yet more alternatives. I've never recommended using a handheld for street navigation when the purpose built alternatives are so good by comparison.

Edited by ecanderson

Thanks! I think I can definitely make 5000 cache storage work. 1000 was a bit more challenging if I wanted to have lists all over the city. And sounds like I definitely want the paperless caching option to be a built-in feature instead of having to use macros to try to achieve what I need.

Thanks again!

Thanks! I think I can definitely make 5000 cache storage work. 1000 was a bit more challenging if I wanted to have lists all over the city. And sounds like I definitely want the paperless caching option to be a built-in feature instead of having to use macros to try to achieve what I need.

Thanks again!

we have the Oregon 450 - compared to our old Etrex it has absolutely revolutionised our caching. And it's such a rugged little beast, I never need to worry about using it in the rain, or it getting bashed about. On the rare occasions I cache with my smartphone I worry about it so much more. Plus the battery life is excellent.

1. Does "supports paperless caching" actually matter ... versus using GSAK macros to upload the caches? (like I do now with my auto nuvi)

BTW, GSAK and paperless go really well together... While you can take the PQ's directly from gc.com and put them on your device, for solving puzzles, child waypoints, corrected coords, filtering out caches, etc from an offline source like GSAK improve your paperless caching experience.

Edited by ocm_ott