New to iPhone

XeresDan

I just bought an iPhone 3GS. I need suggestions.

I downloaded the Groudspeak's application. I went today trying to geocache. A clear blue sky, no clouds at all. I got 47 meters of precision!! :laughing::anitongue:

WHY??!

Do I need another application? :D

How do people do geocaching with iPhones??

PS: Be nice with me please... I don't know "ANYTHING" about Macs and iPhones...

I downloaded the Groudspeak's application. I went today trying to geocache. A clear blue sky, no clouds at all. I got 47 meters of precision!! :laughing::anitongue:

WHY??!

Have you checked here?

Geocaching for iPhone Application

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I think, I am not sure but I think that the iPhone uses the phone towers as a GPS.

The original iPhone might, but the 3G, 3GS and 4 have full blown GPS chips on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

On the 3G/3GS if you want to improve accuracy, you may want to look at the Magellan/TomTom cases as well that have more accurate GPS chips. The iPhone 4 is comparable to pretty much any modern discreet GPS without assistance

WHY??!

I geocache exclusively with my iPhone, I noticed that the "accuracy" listed is always terrible, but the phone will usually put me within 20 ft of the cache no problem, often within 5-10ft. The biggest problem is when it lags or is slow to catch up. Keeping it on the satellite map view helps let you know if the GPS is tracking you or not. Also watch your distance to the cache, once you stop moving, it will continue to drop. Stop every once in a while and let it settle to avoid overrunning the cache and doing endless circles around it. And use your geosense. And if you do alot of caching on it, you might want to get a reserve battery, because it drains the battery fast.

Happy Caching.

I have gone to caches and seen people 400 feet off and heading in a direction away from the cache location, iphone in hand. When it settled down they eventually got there. So with the iphone I pay close attention to the map and satellite images. I read the description and past logs while it settles down. And I hope for the best.

However, as a side note since the OP is a premium member, the Geosphere app is one of my main caching tools, even with my paperless handheld. It handles pqs beautifully, with great filtering and mapping options, and its html display for longer cache descriptions is invaluable for letterboxes, earthcaches, or multis.

Edited by mulvaney