Magellan Explorist GC

dobeedo9

Has anyone else had this problem? There apparently is one or more San Diego, CA geocache listings that have corrupt files. Twice now after I have downloaded a Pocket Query for the area, I get a Fatal Application Error in the Compass.exe file of my Magellan Explorist GC. This last time I called Magellan for support and the tech walked me through a re-set to factory settings, but it didn't work. I ended up doing another exchange at the retailer's. Now I'm afraid to download San Diego caches because I don't know which ones have the corrupt files. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks!

It's not the gpx file that's corrupt, it's the Explorist GC that's corrupt. All other units don't have this problem but it's quite common in the GC.

Try DOWNGRADING to firmware 1.4 with the GC, these gpx problems only became rampant when 1.6 and later was introduced. Then turn off smart arrow and tracking.

Same issue here. In December 2011 uploaded a few GPX files from the Seattle/Puget sound area. The 11 month old unit would not start up and gets the Fatal Application Error in the Compass.exe file of my Magellan Explorist GC v. 1.7. Called Magellan, after 45 minutes on the phone and trying a variety of things got a return authorization to swap the unit (Magellan was very helpful and their customer service was great). Now I have a brand new unit, just out of the box, version 1.8 and guess what. Tranferred just one gpx and just one wpts file from a "Issaquah" query and the unit is corrupt. Fatal Application Error in the Compass.exe file. Unable to start the brand new unit. On the first unit I thought I disconnected the unit a bit too early from the PC (it may have been in the midst of processing stuff) but on this new unit I made sure everything was closed. Apparantly, it didn't matter.

This is what I did to bring it back to pre-gpx condition:

1) removed batteries, shut down unit.

2) connect unit to PC. Eventually it gave a message "connecting as mass storage unit".

this allowed me to look at the APP files - none had been updated. The compass.exe file was not changed.

3) in geocaches folder went and deleted the GPX file Ijust uploaded

4) in waypoint folder deleted the wpts file I just uploaded.

5) disconnected unit.

6) restart unit. Went straight to menu... appears normal.

7) unable to send indidual gpx files to GPS from geocaching website.

note: pc operates on windows vista...

Edited by The Flying Dutchmen