Venture HC - can I set to Lat/Lon instead of DMS?

kazyn

wap.geocaching.com uses latitude and longitude when searching for caches near you instead of DDº MM.SSS format....is there a way to either set up the Venture HC to use lat/lon or somehow easily convert DMS to lat/lon and vice versa without using a bunch of different sites or apps? (on an iPhone)

Go the Main Menu page on the GPS. Select Setup. Select Units. Select Position Format and hdddºmm.mmm'

That will make the displayed positions use the same format as is standard for Geocaching.

I think that is the default on the GPS, right? :signalviolin:

Here is what wap.geocaching.com asks for:

geohelp.PNG

I tried using hddd.ddddd° and hddd°mm.mmm' and hddd°mm'ss.s" and none of them work with the site :mmraspberry:

Edited by kazyn

Go the Main Menu page on the GPS. Select Setup. Select Units. Select Position Format and hdddºmm.mmm'

That will make the displayed positions use the same format as is standard for Geocaching.

geohelp.PNG

I tried using hddd.ddddd° and hddd°mm.mmm' and hddd°mm'ss.s" and none of them work with the site :mmraspberry:

You want to use hddd.ddddd. What sort of problems are you having with that format? The unit itself will not display the negative sign but should work fine.

geohelp.PNG

You could to use hddd.ddddd. What sort of problems are you having with that format? The unit itself will not display the negative sign but should work fine. The site will also take the hdd mm.mmm which is the default for geocaching.com. I tried both formats on the site and it worked fine. You have to enter a negative sign if it is part of the coordinates.

Just checked, and it will work with any of the coordinate formats, you just have to type them in in a certain way.

For example, if your GPS is set to hdddºmm.mmm', and it reports your position as

N 37º16.102'

W 100º34.131'

you would enter

37 16.102

-100 34.131

on the http://wap.geocaching.com page.

Just use a space to separate degrees, minutes, and seconds, and use a negative sign for west longitudes and south latitudes.

Edited by Rotareneg