Info sheet for new Travel Bug

SnowLeopard

I will soon be releasing 4 travel bugs into the wild, and wanted to attach a Travel Bug Instruction Sheet (laminated card).

The bugs will have a travel goal, so I want to make sure that no one "misses the point."

What have other people used on their travel bugs? And how do I handle the situation of a travel destination and return destination? How could the tag be changed to allow people to see it's on it's way back?

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

quote:
Originally posted by SnowLeopard:

And how do I handle the situation of a travel destination and return destination? How could the tag be changed to allow people to see it's on it's way back?

I see it as either you put the whole goal on the tag and ask that someone 'crosses off' the goals as they are completed. Or you ask whoever has the traveler when/next after it completes it first set of goal(s), to hold the on to it for little while. Then you can make another goal sheet with the next set, and sent to the the person. Course this assumes the person would be willing to cooperate.

quote:
What have other people used on their travel bugs?

There are several different templates floating around. Ill let someone else link you to their favor. Of all the travelers ive attached goals to, I usually just print the plain text out (this keeps it fairly small) and laminate that, then zip strip that to the thing.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

SnowLeopard,

Try doing a SEARCH of these forums and narrow your search to just the "travel bug" section of it. You'll find lots of resources. Use words like "instruction" or ""tag" or other such variations.

Good luck and have fun!

-----

You must be present to win.

If you want to see what I have used for a tag, email me and I will send you a word file. I print it out so that the bug's goals are on one side and the Geocaching.com instructions for logging a bug are on the other. Then I laminate it.

If you want to change info on a card later, the best thing would be to contact a person who picks up the bug and ask them if they would hold it until you could mail them a new tag.

pokeanim3.gif

you could put the first goal and instructions on one side of the paper twice with a space between them.Then you could put the second goal on the back twice with a space between.Now fold in half so the first set of goals are on the outside,and laminate.Now with the first set of goals there should be instructions to the person that finishes the first set of goals is to cut open the laminated card,refold the card so the second set of goals are on the outside and relaminate.It might be to complicated,but just an idea

fishin'fool was here!

Here is what I have currently - please give me feedback and let me know if it's lame icon_biggrin.gif

(note, the travel bug is called "Aisha")

[FRONT]

Aisha is a geocaching Travel Bug, and is currently…

[Traveling to Glendale, California] [Traveling back home to Duluth, Minnesota]

When Aisha has reached a cache in or near Glendale California, please cross that section out with a permanent marker so she can find her way back home! Please read the instructions on reverse!

[bACK]

This is no ordinary cache item! If you are willing to be part of Aisha’s journey, please read and follow the instructions. If you do not intend to follow these instructions, please do not take Aisha!

1-Review Aisha’s goal. If you cannot contribute to it, please leave her for another geocacher who can.

2-If you cannot place Aisha in another geocache within one month, do not take her! If you have problems, please contact the owner to help Aisha continue on her way.

3-Remove Aisha from this cache, log onto geocaching.com and log the cache and travel bug ASAP!

4-Make sure Aisha stays safe and dry, please keep her in a ziplock bag.

5- Place Aisha in another cache, log onto geocaching.com and log the cache and travel bug ASAP!

Be a part of Aisha’s story, not the final chapter.

Feel free to take photos of Aisha in “fun” places and post them on the geocaching.com site!

I put an instruction tag, similar but shorter to what SnowLeopard posted, for my bugs. The first one I released didn't have such a tag (I was new), so I asked the finder if I could mail the laminated tag to him. He added it and placed the bug after that.

You could do a similar thing. The instruction tag should include a "please hold for new tag if you complete the current goal". When a goal is reached, you mail a new tag to the current finder, who can swap the tags, then place the redirected bug.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Or http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1.asp for a really good one (based on one of mine). Only problem is the size it prints off. I'd suggest similar wording but with a much smaller font.

I use this one, but set my printer scaling to 55%. Some printers do this, some don't. Some others have an option to print multiple pages per sheet, so you can set it to print 2 per sheet and get about the same effect.

Of course, there is always the option of reducing on a copier or using a scanner.

Just offering some possibilities...

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Or http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1.asp for a really good one (based on one of mine). Only problem is the size it prints off. I'd suggest similar wording but with a much smaller font.

I use this one too... Except that after I print it out I take it to kinkos shrink it 50% (it comes out 3X3) and then hard lamiate it then attach it to the TB. So far I don't have one TB thats gone missing yet. (knock on wood)

icon_wink.gif