How to download from a Mac?

3RoadTrippers

We have an etrex H, I have a feeling it isn't compatible with the Mac.

I've been googling away and can't get a straight answer. Although, I did get a cable, and it doesn't work, so that just might be my answer right there.

(I'm new the forum world, forgive me if I goof this whole thing up :lol:

Edited by 3RoadTrippers

I'm looking into a data cable to download directly to our GPS.

We have a Mac.

There's a disc that comes with the cable, not sure if it's compatible with the Mac, and will that mean the cable won't work.

Any Mac users out there to enlighten us here?

Is it a USB or serial cable?

USB cable.....but it looks like our GPS may not be compatible anyway....all for not :lol:

Basecamp, an OSX application downloadable from the Garmin website, should work for USB devices.

I had tried the downloads from the Garmin site and it still wasn't working for me.

I had later read that Garmin apps and etc... only work with Garmin products - since the cable wasn't Garmin it wouldn't work. Not entirely sure how that makes sense, I thought a cable was just a cable.

Anyway, long story short MacSimpleGPS referred by Bear and Ragged did the trick.

Thanks for your help!!! :P

Basecamp, an OSX application downloadable from the Garmin website, should work for USB devices.

I had tried the downloads from the Garmin site and it still wasn't working for me.

I had later read that Garmin apps and etc... only work with Garmin products - since the cable wasn't Garmin it wouldn't work. Not entirely sure how that makes sense, I thought a cable was just a cable.

Anyway, long story short MacSimpleGPS referred by Bear and Ragged did the trick.

Thanks for your help!!! :P

Glad to see you got it working.

It would be strange if the cable is the problem as I've used 3 different USB cables with my GPS without problems.

Thanks for your help!!! :)

The brand of cable is irrelevant. USB is USB, and I believe Garmin uses a standard USB cable. Just for future reference.