don't really understand map options ...topo and Dakota 20

So we got a new gps, a dakota 20 ...very happy with the unit and its utility for geocaching ...the basemap is pretty lame tho - as was the basemap on my etrex...heres my question....i see that garmin will sell me a topo 1/24000 for the northeast but i already bot the topo software of same for New England and i am wondering... can i just download the maps from the software that i already own?

There must be a good tutorial that explains this to me - im not terribly computer savvy but i have learned how to use topo a little (though im surprised hiking trail networks aren't on there already) and i'd like to have the nicer topo maps on my dakota....do i have to pay the 129 bucks and buy topo AGAIN?

spent a few hours on the internet trying to figure this out but it seems i dont understand the basics very well... any help appreciated!

Edited by ridgerunnr

According to the web page for that device ...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30926#featureTab

The Garmin "Dakota 20 comes with a built-in worldwide basemap, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed topographic, marine and road maps, available on microSD card."

It does not come preloaded with DETAIL maps.

You indicate that you have already purchased (in the past I'm guessing) some sort of topo maps. What EXACT map product and in what format (DVD, preloaded SD card, download) did you purchase?

Assuming it's the Garmin TOPO that you already have, it should upload to your dakota just fine. None of the versions of Garmins TOPO I've purchased have been locked, even though the 24k product has navigatable street data. Just try it, see what happens, remembering to have mapsource check in for updates first.

If you have another non garmin brand of topo map software, it won't load maps to your receiver.

Assuming it's the Garmin TOPO that you already have, it should upload to your dakota just fine. None of the versions of Garmins TOPO I've purchased have been locked, even though the 24k product has navigatable street data. Just try it, see what happens, remembering to have mapsource check in for updates first.

If you have another non garmin brand of topo map software, it won't load maps to your receiver.

I have a multi dvd set of national geographic TOPO! that I bought at REI... i was hoping I could download

maps in the areas that I hike from that software package - sounds like no - still " try it and see what happens" while great advice assumes I know how to and really I guess thats the tutorial I'm looking for - I know how to spend 130 bucks to have them send me a card but jeez how many versions of these maps does one have to buy?

that does seem like the easiest route im beginning to realize - so I guess the version of TOPO i bought was really for people who wanted to print a paper chart of their hiking area ...lots to learn. Still two very good hikes this weekend and a nice little receiver! thanks for the info

Each GPSr manufacturer has their own proprietary format for their maps/units. You need to use the mapset(s) designed for the brand of GPSr you are using. The only exception I recall is NG topo was able to send to Magellan's Triton model. As gnjeepn posted, try those on gpsfiledepot; they will not set you back anything but your time to download and install them.

Yeah, you won't be able to install the National Geographic TOPO! maps on a Garmin GPS unit. Those maps are not compatible.

Go to the GPS File Depot linked above and you will find GREAT maps that you can install for free.

thanks all - i will give it a try - seems i could also create a map with topo and then use it as a custom map in the garmin - that may be a little advanced - will mess around with the topo stuff on file depot ...especially for some vermont hiking this weekend - thanks all

Edited by ridgerunnr

The NG Topo maps are nice for creating a printed map of a planned trip. I use it all the time for this. And I'll give another vote for http://gpsfiledepot.com.

I had some success downloading a few squares around the Mt. Mansfield area in Vermont - has the elevation lines and some better road info as far as i can see - very pleased....Have to figure out what the available memory is on the Dakota (bet I can find that in the manual) why i would want to use the mem card slot (do people have that many maps?) ...and I didn't really understand the notion of having multiple maps enabled ...anyway im really pleased I was able to get this far thanks for the help on this forum!

Then I went looking for people that had created maps with the local hiking trails already on there and i stumbled into the world of people trying to merge their tracks with their topos to do just this - Of course this raises more questions - like ...how many squares did i just download and how do i remember that - must be able to view what's on the dakota via basecamp or something...basecamp - that's a can of worms right there...

I continue to wonder why one couldn't create a map from say a local hiking map (scan the paper) and then

index your position to a known one (a benchmark perhaps) and then you'd have what your looking for ...sort of like the custom map functionality Garmin explains on their website -

anyhow as i poke about I'll prob find out the obvious reason why its not that simple - still thanks vm for all the help...it actually helped me accomplish my goal ...just what forums are hoped to do!!!

Edited by ridgerunnr