complete numpty never used gps before

kitla

Hi, got a Garmin etrex for my birthday :D yeh!

There aren't many buttons, so I've figured out how to mark & retrieve waypoints. However, when I

start searching the compass swings round so much we're never sure which way to go. Once we're heading

the right way it seems to settle & is this normal? :laughing:

Hi, got a Garmin etrex for my birthday :D yeh!

There aren't many buttons, so I've figured out how to mark & retrieve waypoints. However, when I

start searching the compass swings round so much we're never sure which way to go. Once we're heading

Until you start moving, the gps compass has no idea where you're facing on that model. So, yes, that is normal.

Hi, got a Garmin etrex for my birthday :laughing: yeh!

Which eTrex? There are quite a few.

Some have a built in electronic compass that can determine which way the unit is heading even when at very low speeds. (In my opinion, an EXTREMELY useful feature for geocaching.)

Others do not, and can only give you heading information when moving. Note that these will only tell you the direction you're moving, not facing - so if you walk fast backwards everything (waypoints, maps if applicable) on the screen will be upside down. :laughing: