MrSID maps on Oregon 450

Hello all,

I've recently found some high-res color satellite imagery available for download on my county's GIS website. It consists of tiles in MrSID format (with a .sdw file for geolocation), of ~ 3 MB each. I'm wanting to use this imagery as a more detailed replacement for some of the BirdsEye imagery I downloaded through Garmin for my Oregon 450.

The imagery for the whole county is about 15 GB of MrSID files. What I'd like to do is to take the tiles, combine them into large raster maps like I have with the BirdsEye stuff and get as good of coverage of my home county as I can (downsampling where appropriate), given the limits of the Oregon and my memory card (I have a 16 GB MicroSD card in it). I know there's a 4 GB file size limit due to the FAT filesystem, and also limits on the size and number of map tiles available on the Oregon.

I've tried using G-Raster, but it can't geolocate the MrSID files, even with the .sdw information.

Has anyone done anything like this and could tell me what tools I could use to create the raster maps for my Oregon? I've tried using a number of tools to create a small map to test the quality and file size, but I can't even manage to do that.

Is this possible, or am I totally crazy? Can anyone help point me in the right direction for making large raster maps for the Oregon from MrSID data?

Thanks,

Jason

Until Garmin increases the 100 tile limit of 1024 by 1024 pixels per tile you probably will not like what can be done.

What is the resolution of the data you are looking at? At a one meter pixel resolution, 10.2km by 10.2km is not a very large area. If you subsample to include more area, the Birdseye imagery would likely be better as Garmin does 'not' have a tile limit to those files.

Edited by snowfleurys