Can't add comments to the bug w/o the tracking number

Tzan

I picked up a bug a little while ago, and wanted to add comments. However since I was freezing my behind off, I rushed to drop it off and didn't think of writing the number down. Now, I was able to mark that I left the bug behind, but wasn't able to add any comments.

My request is basically that once you have ever had a bug you should be able to add as many comments as you want without the tracking number.

quote:
Originally posted by Tzan & Isbah:

I picked up a bug a little while ago, and wanted to add comments. However since I was freezing my behind off, I rushed to drop it off and didn't think of writing the number down. Now, I was able to mark that I left the bug behind, but wasn't able to add any comments.

How did you log the bug when you picked it up, if you didn't bother to get the tracking number?

The Bug?

One thing you could do is e-mail the bug owner and ask them for the tag number... I did that once for someone that was in a similar situation with one of my bugs.

icon_eek.gif *LOL*

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on December 03, 2002 at 11:22 AM.]

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to go back and add notes to bugs you have held in the past without having to still have the number.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

How did you log the bug when you picked it up, if you didn't bother to get the tracking number?

I had the number when I logged it in.

quote:

One thing you could do is e-mail the bug owner and ask them for the tag number... I did that once for someone that was in a similar situation with one of my bugs.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/flag.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

Yes I could, but I'm requesting a change, and I don't think it's important enough to bother him/her.

quote:

EDIT: *LOL* Wait a minute... e-mailing the owner might not be a good idea considering you http://www.geocaching.com/map/bugtrack.asp?tid=10269 when the bug's goal is to move WEST and get to Hawaii! icon_eek.gif *LOL*

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on December 03, 2002 at 11:22 AM.]

The owner requested that she visit

quote:

Her parents spent some time in the army and she would like to stop off in states they had been stationed in. Visiting old army brat buddies in South Carolina, Missouri, Texas, Tennesse, Kentucky and finally Hawaii is her ultimate goal. She also would like to visit family in Georgia, Arkansas and California.

and it got an immedeate ride to the west coast. So I figured, I'd give it another chance.

Do you think the owner would be upset?

Would you get upset if that happened to one of your bugs?

Would the owners goal be to get it to Hawaii ASAP? I think it would be quite boring to watch the bug travel to its endpoint right away.

If you look at the logs, I'm also not the only one to take it East.

quote:

Would you get upset if that happened to one of your bugs?

If you look at the logs, I'm also not the only one to take it East.

No, I wouldn't get upset... I'd just be disappointed if my bug was getting closer to its goal, and then someone snatched it up and took it 1700 miles in the opposite direction. But then again, that is the nature of the beast - people will do what they want when they find a bug, so being a bug owner means that you have to just accept it. I know some people that would get their *** chapped about something like that - I've gotten myself to the point where I understand I'm lucky that they move at all. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

Deform My Head!

People from CA go to Hawaii when they want to vacation or go on a Honeymoon. People from the midwest go to Hawaii for the above reasons, and to escape the winter. Since nobody is going to take the bug to Hawaii by car, it's a flight, the bug is no less likely to end up there.

We'll have to avoid your bugs.

quote:

We'll have to avoid your bugs.

Someone pee in your cheerios this morning? I don't care if you get my bug and send it off somewhere far from its goal... I already said that I take bug ownership lightly - I don't expect people to always do what the bug wants. I was just letting you know that some people will get pissed off if you do that. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think if my bugs saw you coming, they'd avoid YOU anyway. icon_razz.gif

flag.gif

Deform My Head!

Yeah I picked this bug up the day I was leaving San Fran, thinking I would drop it off in another cache close by. It started raining and I ducked into a bar. Needless to say a few beers later I was bolting for my flight, and brought it all the way to Florida. The upside is I'm watching it, and in February I'm traveling to Seattle for 4 weeks. Hopefully I can pick-it up before I go.

But being the owner of 8 bugs, you do learn to take them lightly.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=617

quote:

People from CA go to Hawaii when they want to vacation or go on a Honeymoon. People from the midwest go to Hawaii for the above reasons, and to escape the winter. **Since nobody is going to take the bug to Hawaii by car, it's a flight, the bug is no less likely to end up there.**

Yes and no, i would agree that a TB that has to leave the country by airplane is better off in a Big Metro area that has a International Airport than an area that doesnt, even if the metro area is somewhat farther away.

But to my way of thinking a bug going to HI would would better off trying to get there from the US westcoast than US eastcoast. It seems to me more ppl flying out of NY would be heading east to say Europe, while people in CA would be going west to maybe HI.

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I guess we'd have to disagree.

Speaking as somebody living in the west coast, who enjoys sun and surf within the hour, I personally know through work and peopel that I've kept in touch with, more people who have flown to Europe than Hawaii.

Nevada, CA, Arizona are mostly warm weather states year round, Hawaii is less apealing to us than Europe would be. I'd imagine people in cold weather areas would want to spend their winter months in warmer weather places.

PS: I can now see how to get my post count up signficantly without farming the boards. icon_razz.gif

Wow, this thread really veered off course. I wish I'd chimed in earlier.

I, too, have often wished that you could add a note or at least edit your log entry on a TB page. That said, here are two thoughts:

1) Write down the TB number so that you can post a note later, even after you've dropped it off.

2) Take a photo and then post it when you are ready to add your note. Posting a photo allows you to add a caption (additional text) at the same time. It's come in handy for me.

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif