Travel bug logging help

brettd

I have, on occasion, gone to caches where travel bugs were retrieved but not logged as such. I have written emails to the cachers who retrieved them, but it gets to be a lot of typing. So, I decided to make a 'travel bug logging help' page on my home account. If you have a minute or two, please take a look at it. Let me know about any modifications you think would be appropriate. The link is below. Thanks

http://home.kc.rr.com/bsa320/Geocaching/Travel_Bug_Logging/travel_bug_logging.html

Here's the modified pages. I am going to leave them on my family page for the time being (until something better is available) for others to use as teaching aids. If anyone has suggestions or sees something wrong with them, please let me know. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Here's the modified pages. I am going to leave them on my family page for the time being (until something better is available) for others to use as teaching aids. If anyone has suggestions or sees something wrong with them, please let me know. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Terrific! I have only found one Travel Bug so far and I do tend to get confused about it easily, so I have copied your procedure and put it in an information file for my personial use (unless you object to my doing so). I think your link is a great idea but one more step you might consider would be to put the link on a laminated card and attach it to the Travel Bug itself. Someone might pick up the Bug without going back to log the find and just keep it. The card might get them to at least look at your site and figure it all out. I have also seen a number of cache logs where someone says they have picked up the Bug but the cache still shows the Bug as being there. They just didn't understand it and everyone visiting that cache expect to find the Travel Bug and get mad when they don't find it. The card would really help.

I have attached a small card along with the "dog tag" on my travel bug, it has instructions on what to do with it. These instructions are easy and clear, and are there not only to help the geocacher, but the accidental finder who just stumbled upon the cache not knowing what it was.

I had hoped that this would help keep my travel bug moving, well....unfortunately it appears that some who geocache do so in such a selfish way that they don't care WHAT you do to make it clear what is needed to be done and what is expected, they still aren't going to do it. My travel bug has disappeared already, and it only moved to one new cache (which was my second cache at that)

This is the text from the card attached to my travel bug:

Side one:

What to do with this travel bug:

Once you have retrieved it, please log it at

www.geocaching.com/track ASAP after retrieving it.

Enter the serial number on the dog tag and it will take you to Unit 14’s page.

Once you have placed it in a new cache location please log it as ASAP after placing as well.

Feel free to take pictures of it in new places and with new faces and upload them to Unit 14’s page.

Please log retrievals and placements ASAP. Thanks!

This also has a Groundspeak logo on it.

Side two:

Hi I’m Unit 14, I’m a travel bug. Please help me and my owner, RAD Dad, meet our goals. I want to get to as many caches as I can, as far as I can, as fast as I can and then return home around 9-17-02

Please be sure to log on to www.geocaching.com and go to the travel bug page to record my being picked up, and of course don’t forget to record where you put me too. Any questions about what to do, please email my owner at raddad@laimbrainz.net

This side also has the logo.

This is attached right along with the metal Travel bug "dog tag" So anyone taking it has to take the instructions as well. It couldn't be easier, and yet, Unit 14 is missing in action so soon.

What REALLY needs to be done is this game needs to REQUIRE registration to play, and part of that registration should be agreeing to basic rules of conduct. Sure, it wouldn't stop everyone who is looking to spoil the fun, but I think it would cut down on it quite a bit. No one should be able to access cache locations without being logged on as a registered user. Part of that registration should include having a validated email address.

Right now anyone can get locations, without ever reading one word of caching rules of conduct or having a single clue as to how to properly play the game. This has to stop, or this game will be no fun at all for those who actually put some time, money thought and effort into placing caches. I mean I'm not asking a lot, just that you log what you took, what you left, and if you take a bug, you log it online, and drop it off in another cache, and log that as well. If you can't play by these FEW SIMPLE RULES then don't play at all.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I think some people may be conceptually challenged by a travel bug. They, like many of us, never bother to read the instructions on how to log a find an a placement. I have helped several on their way, but feel guilty when they are lost..Just me. Even though I travel several states. I will leave them alone.

Hopefully there will be a better system someday.