"Carpet Bombing" software

Aggrajag

Hi all,

I've written a piece of software that solves something I needed. Essentially I was struggling on a puzzle cache and had one digit missing on each coordinate and I was truly stumped. So rather than manually search each possible option I wrote something that batch created a GPX file that I could us with Garmin MapSource and also in Google Earth. This way I can check all the possible coordinates to see if any are likely places.

I'm an old-school programmer so I'm afraid it's written in QuickBasic 4.5 and is therefore an old-fashioned DOS screen, but if anyone wants to try it then I'm willing to let you have a copy.

Download it from http://www.queenwords.com/carpet.exe and before you run it test it against 20-odd virus programs here for free: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-gb

(I believe my system is virus free, and so does that website, but I cannot be held responsible for any infections caused by using my software; you use it at your own risk.)

When you run the software you enter each set of coordinates separately e.g.

n53 22.2x7

and

w001 3y.123

it will then create a GPX file with all 100 combinations included.

You can include/exclude the x and include/exclude the y but you cannot have two variables on one coordinate.

Please give feedback if you find a problem - I've not tested it loads and loads but it seems to work.

If anyone wishes to host it somewhere then please let me know.

Nice :laughing: Thanks for sharing.

You can enhance this by doing the following : Have another GPX that has the coordinates of all non-archived traditionals within the range of the final solution of the puzzle. Eliminate possible coordinates within 0.1 (or, to be safe, 0.098) miles of those traditionals. I've been meaning to do something like that, but never got around to it.