back logging a travel tag?

TreasureKid's

My son (7 year's) just bought himself a keychain type travel tag and wants to use it to track his mileage. I know it will be a pain and take a bit of time but my concern is if it is considered bad form. He has just over 100 finds and I have told him until we figure this out he can't go out anymore. I know I am a mean mom but I don't wanna be stuck back logging more than I have to. TIA

there is a good discussion thread on "dipping" a coin or travel bug for mileage in the forum

My suggestion is to allow your son to cache while he works on the solution (logging the travel bug); get him started and allow him to do all the "work" while you assist him

just a thought

:P

what you suggest has been done before . . . often

it is now a little easier, if the "visit" feature is used

(only one thing to do, compared to the drop/retrieve previously required)

I would strongly recommend that each log be correctly dated

that will allow GC.com to properly calculate the mileage

if there is more than one geocache that you want to log on the same date, be sure to submit them in the same order that the geocaches were found

GC.com will correctly order things by date, but if there is more than one log for the same date, then the order that they are submitted to the website is the only way that GC.com can determine the proper order

It could help you to go through this list:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1

It seems that this list gives the exact find order (or at least the order that you originally logged the finds), reading from bottom to top. And since it's all on one page, it makes it easier to click on the link to goto the cache listing to make your dip log, then come back to this list.

It's also considered good form to go back and delete the 'dip' log on the cache itself. The TB will still have the 'visited' log, but there's no need to pollute the cache listing with the extra log.

My intention was to allow him to do the "visiting" to bring his tag up to date. He normally does our logging or is sitting right beside me while I do it. Not allowing him to cache while doing it is kinda selfish on my part. Just over a week till school starts, there are no caches left locally he can do so it is all me driving him around and I need time to get everything ready. He can cache like crazy on the up coming long weekend and work on logging over the next while. I had also planned on deleting all the notes from doing the backlogs. Thank you I just wanted to make sure we were not gonna be steeping on any toes.

It's fine. Once you submit the back-dated Note on the cache to do the TB/Coin visit, you will immediately be given the option to delete the Note. Deleting the cache Note at that point will not adversely affect the traveler tracking.

I usually mention in the cache Note what I am doing and that I will delete the log.

Edited by BlueDeuce