Buying a GPS? Which one?

RobMcP

Hi can anyone give me some advice on buying a GPS?

(How long is a piece of string I know)

I have no idea what to look for, I mountain bike in the local countryside, also I walk. Later in the year I'm going to South America on a rainforest trek for 2 weeks on and off.

I'd like a GPS that I can use in all those situations. I've looked at various models and I'm losing the will to live, tech tech blah blah (and I do tech believe me)

I have three differnt uses for one, maybe 4. Correct me if I'm wrong someone - but am I right in thinking that you can somehow use a Google street view type view on a GPS in a city, or is that an admans wishful imagery?

Any tips manuals information gratefully received, battery life ease of use programming setting up water proof, running costs map updates visibilty in the dark and sunlight?

Thanks in advance

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :D That's a good starting point, listing the things you want the GPSr to do helps narrow down the selection process.

A couple more q's: What's your price range? And along with your list of needs, is auto-routing important at all? (turn-by-turn car navigation)

Stuff like Google Street view only works on devices like Smartphones where you also are paying for a monthly data plan. Dedicated Handheld GPSr's use maps already loaded onto the unit, which you usually need to purchase separately.

There are so many choices these days. For multi use, the Garmin 60CSX is hard to beat. It is being heavily discounted these days because Garmin introduced the 62 line, which makes the 60CSX an outstanding value if you can find it for around $200 (it was selling for nearly twice that not long ago). The only downside of the 60csx is that it doesn't support true "paperless" geocaching, meaning that you can't easily download the cache page to the unit.

The Garmin Oregon series has some nice geocaching features and is a good performer, but the touch screen is hard to read in sunlight.

The Delorme PN40 is a good all around unit, but if you have "older eyes" the tiny fonts make it hard to read and the battery life is awful. It comes with detailed maps included so it's an excellent value. I understand that the new Pn60 version has better battery life. I don't think DeLorme however has much in the way of maps outside the US.

The Garmin 62S has just been released and is supposed to be an upgrade of the 60CSX. On paper it has a lot of nice features, but as with nearly all new units, it has a lot of bugs. I'd love to have one but personally I'd wait for a few firmware updates before buying one.

Garmim does sell street maps for Brazil, but the cost might be a bit much for a short trip and street maps are essentially useless when you enter the forest anyway. Getting topo maps for your unit for South America may be problematic no matter what unit you buy. Then again, maps are not essential for a GPS, though they are a nice to have item.

Edited by briansnat

Wow, thanks for the replies so far everyone.

The budget is about 250 400 UK £

I had been looking online, at the Oregon 550, but jargon jargon jargon.

Probably what I need to do is to bite the bullet and visit a shop and talk to a salesperson (without giving them a sale until I'm sure)

Nordicman said "Is auto-routing important at all?" I don't really know, is it useful?

(I have a Tom Tom already for the car, where it stays, too heavy for the pocket, + battery life/charge)

Shame I couldn't rent one, try before buy!!

If I did go for a 550, how easy is it to load maps, and what sort of costs are involved, anyone?

Maps I'd like are UK, Perhaps all of Spain, and S America, Cost Rica.

I will look at the Garmins as well, narrowing it down helps somewhat

Briansnat Yes I do have older eyes.

( actually they are not mine, long story but some very kind family helped me out in their worst time)

Thanks again