Personal Trackers

kitsune

I find it frustrating that so many travel bugs are 'personal' bugs for tracking the distance traveled by a cacher. While I would like to create one for myself, I think these should be seperate from bugs that are handed off from one person to the next. (Going to the bug search page and finding one that's been thousands of miles only to find it is owned by a commercial airline pilot is dissapointing!)

I have a .loc file for EasyGPS with my found caches. All you have to do is add a waypoint for your home, if you want your mileage to start there, and then put the caches in order on a route.

Why use a TB? I'd rather have my bugs out in the wild tracking their own miles.

Of course, on the other hand, I only am really interested in my bugs and the ones I've found. What others do with their bugs doesn't frustrate me at all.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I only became frustrated when I was looking for the travel bug that had gone the most miles, which seems to not be possible, anyway. (something about logging locationless caches, etc.)

I just think there should be a better way to do it, as I'd love to keep track of my miles, so I'll give it a try in EasyGPS and see what becomes of it. I wish I had started logging my miles earlier, as it would be fascinating to know how far I've gone in my travels! (Answer: not very far. Most Travel Bugs have been many more places than I have. Sigh.)

W6DPS DE KE4DYX 73

Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Why use a TB? I'd rather have my bugs out in the wild tracking their own miles.

QUOTE]

Tracking a travel bug creates a map for free. I downloaded the EasyGPS software and to create a map of my geocaching travels I would have to pay $67.00 for the map features. Not that it isn't worth it. I just can't afford it or justify the expence right now.

Capn Skully

Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

Tracking a travel bug creates a map for free. I downloaded the EasyGPS software and to create a map of my geocaching travels I would have to pay $67.00 for the map features. Not that it isn't worth it. I just can't afford it or justify the expence right now.

I just got my new bunch of travel bugs yesterday. I created a personal bug and hooked it on to my keychain.

I like when you view the map that you get an ongoing personal log of your successful geocaches. And, no, I didn't log any locationless caches on this one. Didn't think that would be the right thing to do with this bug. I only wanted to log the ones I'd actually physically been to.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I thought I'd try one as a "personal" bug, back-tracking through all the caches I've found.

After doing a few, I realized the same thing you're complaining about...it would really skew the results when it is compared to traditional TB's.

What I was looking for was not so much the mileage, but the map showing where I've been. However, it's clear it's going to get really messy...probably not worth the effort unless there were some way to zoom in the map.

I'm still thinking on what I'm going to do...

George

[This message was edited by nincehelser on March 06, 2003 at 11:42 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

In http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=2660963783&m=6760963783, Jeremy outlined at least some of the legitimate uses he envisioned for travel bugs; and among them was

quote:
Wear them and use it as your own personal travel log.
Objection overruled! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

My last bunch, I finally got around to making my personal bug.

A Walk with Webfoot

It's actually kind of interesting to look at the map page, because it really does make a chronological posting of all of your successful cache finds.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.