Anouther cache in space!

Da Beast

OK so i have read some threads about caches in space IE. on the moon or a space station.

so what one were to place a cache on a satellite!!! with the appropriate permission of course :P

so to be able to find it using your gprs instead of using LAT+LOG you would use elevation eg 100miles above sea level :D the only problem would be which satellite it was on, But there are CO,s that place fake caches, making the cacher look harder, and its common to be about 20-30 feet off. Plus i would not say that it would be a moving cache as satellites don't move the earth moves with in. This would o course be a 5/5 or would there be a need for a higher rating due to the special skills needed (the space walk) and super special equipment (the space suit and shuttle) ;)

OK so i have read some threads about caches in space IE. on the moon or a space station.

so what one were to place a cache on a satellite!!! with the appropriate permission of course :P

so to be able to find it using your gprs instead of using LAT+LOG you would use elevation eg 100miles above sea level :D the only problem would be which satellite it was on, But there are CO,s that place fake caches, making the cacher look harder, and its common to be about 20-30 feet off. Plus i would not say that it would be a moving cache as satellites don't move the earth moves with in. This would o course be a 5/5 or would there be a need for a higher rating due to the special skills needed (the space walk) and super special equipment (the space suit and shuttle) ;)

how can you say that satellites don't move...satellites ORBIT around the earth at extreme speeds...this is why they are called satellites

Edited by mypaperpast

how can you say that satellites don't move...satellites ORBIT around the earth at extreme speeds...this is why they are called satellites

Indeed, geostationary does not mean it's just sitting there.

The further out from the center of the earth, the slower the orbit, relative to equal mass of a satellite with a shorter radius, but all are moving quite fast.

As it requires actual docking with a satellite, no small feat, to visit the cache, I can't see that happening unless your last name is Gates, Ellison or Slim.

Amusing to contemplate, but its preposterous to consider.

You could potentially do a satellite cache in which you had to be directly under the satellite's path when it went overhead; you'd have to include a picture of your GPS with the time, date, and coords showing. Tough, but (in principle) do-able. Unfortunately, very difficult for reviewers to accept since the location can't be approved because it would be moving.

Geostationary satellites can move around their epicenter by a few hundred meters, and they "wobble" a little above and below the equator. Still, I suppose you could have a cache on the equator directly beneath the nominal coords for a geostationary satellite.