just bought a PN-40, now what?

shmans

First off, thanks to all the people who've been recommending GPSrs on here! I decided to go with the DeLorme PN-40.

I received it in the mail yesterday and have been eager to try it out, but I have a few questions first!

1. What kind of program for keeping track of caches should I download to use with my GPS? I've heard a few names thrown around (EasyGPS, Cache Register) and I'm wondering if there is one that I should go with that would work best with my device (or what you guys recommend). Or do I even need one?

2. A slip of paper came with the GPS that says I have free data downloads ($40 in Data Download Dollars) for the DeLorme Map Library. Which maps should I download (I figure the color aerial imagery and topographic maps?) and is it worth it to get the $30 Map Library annual subscription?

3. I've been reading a lot of things about memory cards. I really don't think I would need a 32GB card (that seems huge) but I have no concept on how much memory the maps and caches take up. Help?

That's all for now, thanks in advance for your help!

Congratulations!

1. Topo North America 9 should have come with your PN-40 (or perhaps you got something with Topo8, but you are eligible for a upgrade to T9 for just the cost of shipping). T9 is actually pretty good for cache management. You will probably want to get a premium membership at geocaching.com so you can create and download pocket queries of the caches. The Map Files tab in T9 will allow you to log into your gc.com account and allow for autoupdates of your pocket queries. Then Syncing on the Handheld Export tab will move data to your PN-40.

T9 can sometimes feel overwhelming to people because it has so many capabilities. I'd suggest not getting into the other things just yet...wait until you've got the essentials under your belt. I don't know how much or how little more to say about the geocache management, so I'll stop on that and let you ask any particulars you'd like spelled out.

2. The download credit will go pretty quickly--the map data is rather expensive ala cart. It allows you to see what the available imagery is like, so download a little of everything. Then, *if* you think it would be useful, buy the subscription and go whole hog.

3. It depends how many maps and how much imagery you want to carry around. Most of us find the current sweet spot for GB/$ is the 16GB size. That's ample for most peoples' needs; you might even get by with 8 or possibly even 4 (1 is just too small). So I'd recommend a 16GB card. It's always better to have too much memory than too little.

Check out the wikis in my signature line...lots of help there.

1. You can use topo 9 or you can just use window explorer to drag and drop your PQ file in the GPX folder that the 2.8 firmware makes on your SDHC card. I only do that because it is the easiest. Also you can now do "send to GPS" also which is nice for when you just need a fast download of one geocache.

2.Yea the 40$ goes quick. I just recently did the Map library and it is great. I am having fun loading all the maps.

click here for delorme map library at walmart for $24

3. At least a 16 GB and the link by team cowboypapa is a great deal, wish I had seen that when I got mine.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo