Brand New Cacher

erictwitch

Howdy, I'm a brand new geocacher, and found 7 caches on my first day. I'm feeling pretty bold and would like to start setting up my own caches. Any hints, tips, rules, guidelines? I'm on a pretty tight budget, both financially and time wise, so the whole "Startup Kit" on the website isn't really an option for me.

:D Congrats on a fresh & rewarding start! But, take it slow, and be patient, as you will never find EVERY cache you hunt, the 1st time :)

This sport is enjoyable and can provide excellent exercise and you will se places, that if it were not for Geocaching, you'd never hav occasion to see!

If your state has a "Delorme Challenge" do it! I did the one for Virginia, and boy was I sorry when it was over. I saw such lovely out-of-the-way places, that if I live to be 300-yo, I'll never forget the sites!

Yep.

And REALLY read and understand them.

And then once you feel like you understand all the Guidelines, go back and read them again. Then just for good measure, read them again.

Then when looking for a spot to hide a cache, think about a place that you would WANT to come visit.

Check to be see who owns the property. Check to see if they have a geocaching policy.

Check for proximity issues with other nearby caches.