Can't Find TB FAQ - Is this acceptable?

doublestuff

Don't some people carry a bug with them to each cache they find, logging it in and out? A bug that simply travels with the owner to each cache?

I say as long as the bug was physically at the first cache site who cares how it gets to the next place. Logging it on line without visiting the site would be doctoring it's stats. Now adding ten miles it never traveled may not be the end of the world, but it does take away being able to claim that the bug reached it's goal. Kind of like cheating at solitaire.

Yes, I've seen a thread that talked about that, but didn't talk that long for it.

A travel bug can be used as the owner would like, but logging it into and out of caches that the owner visits seems like an odd usage for a bug. It wouldn't need a hitchhiker for that, on the other hand...

"Yeah, my bug is a railroad spike. I take it with me when I go caching."

"You logged it into and out of a micro?"

"Um, yeah."

"Did it fit?"

"Well, no."

shock.gif

quote:

Originally posted by team oreo cookies:

Would it be ok to initial release and retrieve my own travel bug from one of my own caches.

You bought the tag and it is your bug, do what you want. You sure don't need permission to log and retreive your bug.

Just go have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

A travel bug can be used as the owner would like, but logging it into and out of caches that the owner visits seems like an odd usage for a bug. It wouldn't need a hitchhiker for that, on the other hand...

"Yeah, my bug is a railroad spike. I take it with me when I go caching."

"You logged it into and out of a micro?"

"Um, yeah."

"Did it fit?"

"Well, no."

===========================

That's fine. I wasn't trying to dictate any rules. I truly was asking if people do carry a TB with them. I'll dig through some posting that I think talked about it.

quote:

Originally posted by TeamX40:

That's fine. I wasn't trying to dictate any rules. I truly was asking if people do carry a TB with them.

We log a Geocoin in and out of each cache we visit. Easy way to track our mileage. icon_smile.gif

This method is popular with some cachers and has been discussed in the past.

Probably the only hard and fast rule for a Travel Bug is: If you don't own it take care of it and keep it moving. Sadly, that is not always the case.

Take care.... icon_biggrin.gif

I see no problem in moving your own bug, that DOES track it's mileage, IOF you actually hit each cache with it in possession. So what if t doesn't fit in the cache, logging it in and out doesn't hurt anything. I have logged bugs into VIRTUALS as I had them with me when I found the virtual.

Take a PICTURE if you must PROVE it's been there.

One of mine recently went to Paris, was too big for the container there, the cacher took a picture (3 actually) and brought it BACK to the Conus. Because the cache was small container, does that negate the overseas round trip? NO, it went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS is the PUBLIC face of Geocaching, when someone learns of the sport this is where they come to

learn more, what are YOU showing them?

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists