Yiha! It tracks!

Guest Ttepee

This seems to be a topic that alot of people have been interested in lately so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I recently sent out a traveling cache that contains a travel bug... or a cache that moves with the travel bug so to say. Markwell had brought up some concerns whether or not the TB would track on the map and mileage wise while remaining in the same cache. Well Gilbert's first move has tracked!

Guest Markwell

Never in a million years would I have expected it to do that. In the database side it must take the cache name and coordinates and store them on the Travel Bug's page once it's been placed in the cache. I presumed it was a live link just drawing the information every time the page was opened.

I don't know if this is how Jeremy intended it, or if it was just serendipity (I've had that happen on quite a few databases I've created, to which I always reply: "Yea, I meant for it to do that.").

Very cool and thanks for the beta test with Gilbert.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Markwell,

Definitely was a nice surprise. Your concerns were legitimate and I had come to accept the idea that the TB wouldn't track as hoped. Gilbert had other reasons for having his own TB bug page so I went for it. Serendipity or careful planning... I don't know and don't care... Thank you Jeremy icon_smile.gif

Markwell,

Definitely was a nice surprise. Your concerns were legitimate and I had come to accept the idea that the TB wouldn't track as hoped. Gilbert had other reasons for having his own TB bug page so I went for it. Serendipity or careful planning... I don't know and don't care... Thank you Jeremy icon_smile.gif

Just FYI, the logs for the travel bug contain their own set of coordinates, though they do reference the cache as well (to retrieve the cache name). The idea is that (eventually) you'll be able to log the travel bug at all sorts of places outside of a cache. So if there is a handoff in Wisconsin, it will still be logged (and mapped).

Glad it worked for you icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Just FYI, the logs for the travel bug contain their own set of coordinates, though they do reference the cache as well (to retrieve the cache name). The idea is that (eventually) you'll be able to log the travel bug at all sorts of places outside of a cache. So if there is a handoff in Wisconsin, it will still be logged (and mapped).

Glad it worked for you icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy,

It sure was a nice surprise to see that it would work like I originally had hoped.

Your foresite in developing this site is what keeps it evolving into such a fun, diverse sport. Thanks so much for all you do!

Tina