The Quest is Over

To commemorate our 100th find, we decided to try to find 100 caches in one day. I did the research and set a route of 112 seemingly easy caches. Our search party consisted of myself (navigator), my father (driving) my niece (11 years odl), my nephew (12 years old) and Indiana Jacob (6years old). Our quest started with the first cahce at 5:25am and ended with our 101st at 6:10pm (elapsed time 12 hours and 45 minutes). We set a 5 minute search limit and did have 4 DNF's, 2 that we skipped because the previous 3 or 4 posts were DNF's (figured that the cache was missing) and 2 that we could not get to due to a police road block set up to allow electrical crews to work.

While we appreciate the more challenging individual caches and all of the places that they take us, this was actually a lot of fun. Despite being in the car for almost 13 hours the kids never complained or got bored. They never broke out the DS or started calling/texting their peeps. We came upon a cahce about every 4-10 minutes and this seemed to keep them thoroughly engaged. The time went by pretty quickly. We packed a cooler full of food and drinks and ate on the fly. The weather was pretty brutal 90+ temps with high humidity, despite this everything went smoothly. Our route covered about 70 miles. While researching our route I probably found enough "easy" cahes to do another 100 another time. I am guessing that we may celebrate the 1 year anniversary of this day by doing another 100 in 1 day in 2011.

Thank you to the geocaching community as a whole and a special thank you to TKDliss whose many cache-a-palooza 2010 caches placed in the Oak Lawn/Chicago Ridge area, gave me the idea to do this. We have yet to place any caches of our own, but look forward to the opportunity to give back to the community and the sport of geocaching.

Edited by Indiana Jacob

Since you seem to be in the Chicagoland area, let me give you a tip. Muther and Sun have about 750 caches downstate that run along the county lines, from north of Champaign to west of Peoria. We just made a 100 cache run, and it was a blast! There are probably at least 8 - 10 100 cache trips in Illinois. You can make it an annual thing!

Since you seem to be in the Chicagoland area, let me give you a tip. Muther and Sun have about 750 caches downstate that run along the county lines, from north of Champaign to west of Peoria. We just made a 100 cache run, and it was a blast! There are probably at least 8 - 10 100 cache trips in Illinois. You can make it an annual thing!

Cool! Thanks for the info. We will definitely try to make this an annual thing. Maybe one of these years we will make it to the E.T Highway during one of our Vegas trips.

that sounds like a lot of fun!

well done to the 6 year old in particular for lasting the distance without getting tired and cranky :)

He slept very well that night. I was especially proud of him since almost all of these were small/micro containers with no swag to trade. That is usually his favorite part.

Wow! Good for you! I wish my dad was like that... Shoot, I wish my husband was like that. :laughing:

Muther and Sun have a few caches in my area here in South Central IL and my best friend lives in Bloomington. I've been scoping out the MutherandSun caches on my route. It you look at the map around Clinton, there is a HUGE square of caches. :laughing: That's definitely their territory. One day... I will go there.

Wow! Good for you! I wish my dad was like that... Shoot, I wish my husband was like that. :laughing:

Muther and Sun have a few caches in my area here in South Central IL and my best friend lives in Bloomington. I've been scoping out the MutherandSun caches on my route. It you look at the map around Clinton, there is a HUGE square of caches. :laughing: That's definitely their territory. One day... I will go there.

She(he?) even has one power trail that spells out MUTHER.