Does OnExit work on a Garmin?

Afterburned

Well OnEnter does not work correctly so I thought I would ask!

What have others used instead of OnExit? I guess I could put some of the code in the OnProximity but I really would rather use OnExit or an equivalent.

We really could do with a list of things that do not work on the Garmin platform as a pinned topic. :unsure:

Well I put up a WIG and the first comment was that the Garmin users had to zero in on the coords to get the OnEnter to fire - they asked me to make the zones larger! Now this works fine on my PPC type so I can only assume they do not work the same. And yes, I have read the other thread where you have claimed that they work, all I can say is not enough devices work for my WIG to be acceptable.

So I guess the OnExit works only if you have zeroed in and OnEnter has fired? Not a realistic option. I have nothing to test with, any other answers out there?

Well I put up a WIG and the first comment was that the Garmin users had to zero in on the coords to get the OnEnter to fire

basically, "no they don't".

problem is, geocachers as Wherigo's largest audience are so used to zeroing in on things that they get confused with zone navigation. the arrow points towards the closest coordinate of the zone's border, the geocacher walks toward this zero and then she stops there, standing right on the zone's edge and dropping in and out.

(now if you have solid evidence that the problem is something else, i would LOVE to see it - in the form of, let's say, two different GWL logs from the same cartridge, where the entry and exit points are at the same physical coordinate. but despite asking repeatedly, nobody was able to provide this, and i have much evidence that i'm in fact right with this)

there are two ways around this - one is using proximity (this is also an answer to your other thread), other is hiding the zone and making them walk towards a) a physical object or B) an in-game object placed in the middle of a zone.

if you set up a proximity range (let's make it 20m in your case, with 1m wide zone) and use OnProximity instead of OnEnter, the problem is sidestepped - our geocacher happily walks into the proximity range when hunting the zero, and because the events fire right away, she never actually needs to reach the zone shape.

in this case, you can use OnDistant event instead of OnExit, like this:

1. set up a variable "zoneentered" or something. set its value to 0

2. in your OnProximity script, set "zoneentered" to 1

3. in OnDistance, check whether "zoneentered" is 1, and if it is, do whatever you wanted to do in the OnExit handler. then, reset "zoneentered" back to 0

if you say "walk towards that tree over there", they stop relying on the arrow and walk towards the middle of your zone without problems.

similarly, if you say "walk towards this tree in You See list", they use the tree's arrow for navigation, and that points to a specific coordinates well inside the zone shape

hope this helps

Edited by matejcik

matejcik - thanks for the reasoned and detailed answer. It makes perfect sense and actually reminds me of my experiences with the first cart I followed - yes even the PPC version can get blind to following the arrow!

I thought the answer to the zones may be as you describe - I just have to set them all up again now - and sort out the OnDistance (I have lots of If's in the OnExit anyway so should work)

Thanks again, and apologies for doubting you!

Oh god, solve one issue and another rears its ugly head! :blink:

So now the players are OnProximity to a zone to see things. I want to have objects that commands work only in certain zones, so I use an If command on the objects action:

In the zone (if zone contains player) works.

Proximity to the zone (if the player is within proximity to the zone) does not.

This is the same on the emulator and the PPC (WherYouGo Android) that I have tried!

Any reasons or answers? (no wonder people give up on building these things!!!) :lol: