Further help on "Collectible"

CraigT

I'm just getting back in to Geocaching and have seen many changes in the program. The one that throws me first is this concept of "Collectible". I've read the forums and the Knowledge pages and the website references but still can't get a handle on the purpose, usage, and advantages of marking something collectible or not collectible. I've read the attempted responses but it just doesn't register. Maybe someone can list some examples and benefits of what "collectible" means as it relates to whether or not to mark my TB this way. What happens if it is, if it isn't? What happens to my records and tracking if its marked one way or another. Maybe someone can suggest why they do what they do with their collectible status. Thanks, Craig

Sure, glad to help. It only pertains to your own trackable items that you own, bugs, coins, whatever. If you noticed when you log a cache, when you have trackable items in your possession, or "inventory," they will show in the list of items to chose from to drop in the cache when you log it, yes?

Well, when you own an item that you do not wish to release, you can now mark it "collectible" and it will not show up in your "inventory list" when you log a cache.

We own several collectible coins, and have for years. Until I did some maintenance today I didn't see the new feature either. It is very nice. We have created a cache that we never publish and just leave our collectible coins in their. With this feature we will no longer need to have a "Home base" unpublished cache for our collection.

Does that help clear it up for you? Only concerns inventory items, or collectible coins, tags, etc. you own and do not wish to release.

-Team Jimni

Just now reading up on this collectible/noncollectible option. My worry is that if I mark something collectible that someone might think that means it is theirs to keep and put in their own collection. That is the first way I thought of it anyway. I am confused. But then that is a constant state of mind for me.... :signalviolin::wacko:

Just now reading up on this collectible/noncollectible option. My worry is that if I mark something collectible that someone might think that means it is theirs to keep and put in their own collection. That is the first way I thought of it anyway. I am confused. But then that is a constant state of mind for me.... :signalviolin::wacko:

Do not mark a trackable you release as "Collectible". Mark those 'Not Collectible'. Yes, if you mark a trackable as "Collectible" and release it a person can mark it as "In My Collection" and not see it when they drop the bug or coin and log the cache and it get lost because it doesn't get logged, or they misplace it and forget about having it and never look for it. Gone.

So don't mark your "public" or released items as "Collectible." Mark them 'Not Collectible'

-Team Jimni