Noob wants advice on Magellan Explorist GC

VgoSprocket

Hey all. Am interested in getting into caching as a way to exercise with my pooch.

I am interested in buying a Magellan Explorist GC and would like some opinions. I have never used a GPS and I want one that is easy to use but that isn't too simple so I get bored with it.

I know that the GC is set up especially for caching, but can I use it for other uses? If I go back-country camping can I use it to guide me through the lakes/rivers to my site? Can I set coordinates on it and have it lead me to them? Can it be used on the road? Is the road map detailed or can you upload a more detailed road map to it?

Thanks,

SH

I have one, and have had it a few weeks. I'm not exactly a "power-cacher" (meaning I have been around a long time and have precious few finds), but so far I like it. It is a little slow to update once in a great while, but the paperless functionality makes it worth it. 99% of the time it updates just fine.

I don't know about back-country stuff on the maps, but I have used it a lot in-town in Warrensburg, MO and Sedalia, MO, and the road maps have been great for me. So...roads, yes...trails, lakes, rivers, etc, dunno. That said, I am not sure if it has the capability to accept any map software to it. (I certainly won't need it myself.)

Yes, you can put in coordinates to save a waypoint and customize that how ever you like. I put in coordinates for work, my kids' homes out of state, and my home....just in case I ever need to "navigate" there.

Hope that helps--I love mine :(

Lovellbird