GPS RAM - How much do you really need?

I've been looking at Garmin Oregon 200 v 300 v 400t. A major difference is the amount of RAM available in each unit. The 200 has (only) 24M, while the 300 and 400 have 1G - a HUGE difference. But that begs the question - how much RAM does one really need to do paperless geocaching?

I assume that my database of caches would be stored on the SD memory card, and not the core RAM...so what would I be sacrificing if I had only 24M of RAM vs a larger amount?

It does not really matter if the data is on internal memory or on a card. The one plus to internal memory is if you plan to use preprogrammed SD cards. Since they do not allow data to be added, it is usefull to have some internal memory.

Following up to my own post, a few weeks later, now that I better understand stuff. Essentially, I was thinking in PC terms, where RAM (memory for running applications) is different than storage capacity (typically, hard drive storage).

For the GPS, "RAM" really is equivalent to "storage". A Garmin Oregon 200 w/24M vs a 400 w/1G really means that one starts with a 24M HDD, the other with a 1GB HDD. Both have, I assume, the same amount of RAM for executing the OS.

Now that I've played around, I find that I can load (using MapSource) three different California maps (a routable OSM map, a topo map, and <name escapes me - ???cus maps>) in about 1.2GB, leaving me more than enough room for one-off maps that I load separately when traveling out of the area. 1000 geocaches in a GPX file is WAAAAY <24MB - so if I wanted to add POIs I'm sure I'd have no problem.

What I'm saying: my experience is that, for a single state (California), I'm hard-pressed to use more the 2GB of storage, so I ended up making quite a fortuitous "mistake" when I ordered the Oregon 200 instead of the 400 as I had intended. The lack of audio bell and electronic compass have turned out to be non-issues.