GeoWoodstock Roadtrip: Are you driving through Indiana or on I-80 or I-90 to Geowoodstock?

Hello!

Ivan and I (Jessica) are two twentysomething college students who were planning to roadtrip to GeoWoodstock from June 30-July 6 from Bloomington, Indiana. Unfortunately our other two friends who were supposed to drive with us had some bad situations come up that are preventing them from going with us. At this point, we would really like to attend, but we're unsure that it's a good idea for 2 people to be doing a 36 hour roadtrip there and 36 hour roadtrip back on very little sleep. (Flights weren't in our budget unfortunately)

We were hoping that there might be some other folks that are attending that are

A. West of us along the I-80 (Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington) or I-90 route (Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington) and we could drive to them and then share a ride, driving, gas costs, etc...

B. East of us and could share a ride from here in your vehicle or ours. Again, we're willing to help drive and share gas costs, etc.

Even if you were in a western state, or halfway through our trip, we'd be able to make it work, since we'd have less time with only two of us trading driving.

We're both very addicted to geocaching and would be game for any plan that you might have already made. We've done several geocaching roadtrips in the past so we've got the stamina and willingness to find a gazillion caches or only a few, depending on what your plan is.

We initially had planned to visit the Ape Cache, Original Stash plaque (It's on the I-80 route there), GeoWoodstock and the 4th of July event that Groundspeak is hosting in downtown Seattle.

We know that 99% of geocachers are super nice and awesome people so we're very willing to carpool with others that we don't know. We're both nice, polite and enthusiastic individuals that would make a great addition to any roadtrip to GeoWoodstock you might have already planned. Don't worry, we already have our hotel planned. (Or if you hadn't planned on coming until now, we would take you with us. We budgeted $250 each if there's 4 of us and $300 if there's 3 of us. That includes gas, hotel, a few meals, but we're hoping to pack food for most of the time)

Even if we could find someone east of us who could help us get there... there appears to be several $100 flights we could take back.

Please let us know if you think we could make something work. Send a message via my profile at http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e1...c1-5e34b4344b6d I'll e-mail you back quickly or give you a call and we can get something arranged really fast!

Thanks Geocachers! :grin:

Jess

Edited by Mickey4jes

We initially had planned to visit the Ape Cache, Original Stash plaque (It's on the I-80 route there), GeoWoodstock and the 4th of July event that Groundspeak is hosting in downtown Seattle.

Jess

I think you need to take a look at a map. The plaque is near Portland. You want to take I-84 out of Salt Lake City. I-80 to SLC fine. If you stay on I-80 you will end up in San Francisco, far to south. Out of Portland you will be taking I-5 north. Lots of nice caching along I-84 and the Gorge is very beautiful, nothing like Indiana.

Edit: If you decide to skip the plaque then I would still take I-80 to SLC and I-84/I15 north out of SLC and head through Idaho on I-84. Once you get to Ordinance on I-84 take I-82/US395 up to I-90 and then on into Seattle.

All very nice country and nothing like Indiana. I think I-70 through Colorado and Utah is prettier, but I-80 is more direct.

Edited by jholly

Jess

I think you need to take a look at a map. The plaque is near Portland. You want to take I-84 out of Salt Lake City. I-80 to SLC fine. If you stay on I-80 you will end up in San Francisco, far to south. Out of Portland you will be taking I-5 north. Lots of nice caching along I-84 and the Gorge is very beautiful, nothing like Indiana.

Edit: If you decide to skip the plaque then I would still take I-80 to SLC and I-84/I15 north out of SLC and head through Idaho on I-84. Once you get to Ordinance on I-84 take I-82/US395 up to I-90 and then on into Seattle.

All very nice country and nothing like Indiana. I think I-70 through Colorado and Utah is prettier, but I-80 is more direct.

JHolly, sorry for the confusion. We do know that Stash plaque would be on I-84. I simply defined our 2 routes after the major roads that we spend the most time on. On that route, we have to take I-71 to I-72 to 800 miles of being on I-80, then get on I-84 and onward. Much easier than saying the full route.

Basically we'd need to find someone to combine with us while we were still on I-80 to make it work as then we'd have less than 24 hours of having only 2 people switching behind the wheel.

Wish we could help. We head out from Missoula, MT after work on the First of July. I hope you can work something out! Be sure to post on your local forums!

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer&Dean. We've posted on our local forums, on GW forums, on FB, here, invited nongeocaching friends and family, and contacted nearly every geocacher we know.

We're hoping for some luck that someone will read it before they leave and might be able to include us.

Looks like it's just not in the cards this year; we're just not going to find someone this close to the day of the event. Last minute airfare is just too pricey and it would be stupid to attempt to drive the distance with only 2 people. I'm sad that I won't get to swap ideas with leaders of other geocaching groups.

Thanks to everyone who sent me a "good luck" message and I hope everyone enjoys GeoWoodstock!

Looks like it's just not in the cards this year; we're just not going to find someone this close to the day of the event. Last minute airfare is just too pricey and it would be stupid to attempt to drive the distance with only 2 people. I'm sad that I won't get to swap ideas with leaders of other geocaching groups.

Thanks to everyone who sent me a "good luck" message and I hope everyone enjoys GeoWoodstock!