Alternatives to Geoniche

insx

Hi Folks

I love Geoniche for the Palm platform but my Treo 680 is looking old, fat and battered and one of these days, I will need to upgrade it to a more modern smartphone.

Recommendations for phone + software? For those who don't know, Geoniche stores cache details, co-ords, notes, logs, decodes hints and has a GPS radar view. From a quick look on the website, Cacheberry looks like it might be similar.

Is there anything out there for Android? I quite like some of the android phones.

I'm not that keen on the iPhone but I might consider it if the iPhone caching apps are considered to be the bee's knees.

I'm not considering spending £100s on a GPS receiver that can do paperless caching. I would like to be able to use my external bluetooth receiver for accuracy.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Hi Folks

I love Geoniche for the Palm platform but my Treo 680 is looking old, fat and battered and one of these days, I will need to upgrade it to a more modern smartphone.

Recommendations for phone + software? For those who don't know, Geoniche stores cache details, co-ords, notes, logs, decodes hints and has a GPS radar view. From a quick look on the website, Cacheberry looks like it might be similar.

Is there anything out there for Android? I quite like some of the android phones.

I'm not that keen on the iPhone but I might consider it if the iPhone caching apps are considered to be the bee's knees.

I'm not considering spending £100s on a GPS receiver that can do paperless caching. I would like to be able to use my external bluetooth receiver for accuracy.

Thanks in advance

Tim

I used Geoniche for years, 650, 680, then in StyleTap in Windows Mobile. I've also moved to Android, and I tried many, but GeOrg seems to work the best for me. It processes GPX insanely fast, or you can use the bcaching connector and do on-the-fly caching. This requires setting up pocket queries and forwarding them to bcaching of course, not a difficult thing to get set up at all. For local caches, I just import the GPX.

The author is working on Bluetooth GPS support.. Android supports it, but not systemwide.. His problem is that he bought a Bluetooth GPS himself and it didn't work, turns out it doesn't quite use the right protcol or advertise itself as the right type of device, so Android doesn't like it at all.. but he's working on it, and I hope to be able to use my Holux 236 again soon in Android. :laughing: Built-in GPS on my Nexus One (and all phones) sucks pretty bad.

I bought a cheap Android phone and I'm loving it. The technology is a bit of a step up from the Palm. It's a shame I spent so much on Geoniche when there are all these lovely Android apps free or cheap. At the moment I'm going with [an application beginning with c that this forum likes to delete the name of]. It's a shame I can't test georg without paying. I know it's cheap but I'll stick with [an application beginning with c that this forum likes to delete the name of] for a while. I'm amazed at the amount of apps in the market that appear with a search for geocaching.

Edited by insx

I'm trying georg now but the bcaching connector isn't in the market on my phone. There's lots of stuff missing in the market on my Pulse Mini. I don't know why.

Weird.. that connector is free. If you want PM me I'll give you a link to it. (Again, free, not warez, just helping facilitate his market weirdness, etc..)

How you install it... Depends on your device. Astro might be able to do it.