How do I log this?

shunra

I thought of starting with logging benchmarks, but haven't done any yet, since this business appears somehow more serious than caching, and I want to do it right.

Take, for instance, PID=TR1666. The official history says:

1961 by CGS (MONUMENTED)

RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1961 (FN) STATION DESTROYED. STEEPLE AND CROSS ARE NO LONGER ON BUILDING.

1941 by CGS (MONUMENTED)

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1941 (LDG) STATION IS THE TOP OF CROSS ON CHURCH STEEPLE WITH TWO RED BANDS, ST. MARYS STAR OF THE SEA CATHOLIC CHURCH, AT THE SW CORNER OF PIERCE AND BLAINE STREETS, PORT TOWNSEND. LOCATED BY INTERSECTION.

I can see that church as I'm writing this. The church does have a tower with a cross on it, which I obviously cannot climb.

I must assume that this is a different tower, since the 1961 documentation says thatthe tower is destroyed. Does this mean that this is it, there is no disk, no benchmark, and nothing to be logged? Why then is this PID in the list in the first place? And if not, what should I be looking for here?

My thought is that the mark should be logged as not found since we don't know if it is destroyed or not... the original cross may be in the basement of the church.

I think in 1961 that it should have been recorded as 'destroyed' instead of 'monumented'.

I'm curious to see what the professionals have to say. Happy hunting!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Thanks for that link. It tells me a lot about the church on my corner, but not why the benchmark is listed as 'monumented'.

It doesn't seem to be an exception. Out of the 5 benchmarks closest to my home, three non-existant ones are marked as 'monumented'. So why are they still in the database?

The other two are TR1655:

(Also on a steeple; in '41, CGS wrote 'steeple no longer exists', but it's labeled as 'monumented'. In '61, Exactly the same thing happend (different initials, that's all), and it's 'monumented' again.

and TR1683:

(In '26 they write: 'could not be identified, probably torn down or burned'. In '62 they wrote: 'this station has been destroyed, the building has been dismantled'. Both entries are labeled as 'monumented'.)

So there seem to be three out of 5 benchmarks closest to my home which shouldn't be in that database at all, with three surveyors (FN, LDG

and HAC) in four years (spanning 1926 through 1962) at six occasions labeling non-existing benchmarks as 'monumented'. Marking destroyed BMs as 'monumented' does not seem to be an exception. Is that correct?

Abu Shachaf -

Some of your initial questions should be answered by the paragraph called "Some listings describe things like radio towers, church steeples and smokestacks. How do I log them?" on the benchmark search page.

I agree with Jeff35080 that the 1961 log should not say "MONUMENTED". I recommend ignoring the word "MONUMENTED" in your area. I'm thinking that someone was making a mistake in writing those reports. That word should only be used in the first report.

I recommend posting destroyed on the ones where the description says it is destroyed, but ONLY if you go there yourself and confirm that as well as you can. It should be easy to do.

There are many thousands of marks in the database that should be in Destroyed category, but appear on the database as if they were still existing. I recommend ignoring them.