marker indentification help, again

_dxd_

I meant to ask about this back in March when I found it, but forgot all about it until I came across the pictures just now.

I was in Nevada, heading from Vegas up to St George UT. I had a couple of caches and benchmarks loaded to find along the way. They were located along the abandoned highway (US 91, I think) that parallels I-15 .

I found a couple of benchmarks, which I see I forgot to log, and a cache, and these unknown markers.

They are along the highway, forget the distance between them, set in pairs one on each side of the roadbed, maybe 30 to 50 ft from the edge of the road. It's a square post made of concrete, with the letter N incised as shown. When I saw the first one on the southern side of the road, I thought it was to mark North, but I then found the mark on the northern side of the road, and it was marked N also - on both posts it was the side facing the roadbed.

Any ideas ?

sorry, can't link to the image I guess, please look here

I've run up that very stretch of abandoned highway, and seen those markers you're referencing (that's a great 'hunting ground'). I'm with Bill; I'd assumed they were the right of way (ROW) boundary stones. I've seen them here in Alaska with ROW cast on their sides, as well as similar markers in other states.

An Alaska DOT ROW enforcement officer told me 'in the old days' that was the marking methodology used to give landowners a guideline for the required setback from the highway. Now, of course, a surveyed as-built drawing is required to ensure the setback is met. In our sign business, the ROW setback is a critical line to be aware of when executing sign installations along the state highways.