Garmin Map Installation Help Needed

So I've recently bought a 60CSx and today I bought TOPO U.S. 100k and a 4GB memory card to fit it all on. I installed the DVD just fine and went into MapInstall to put the maps on my GPSr. I selected the entire continental US, which the program says will fit on the memory card, and then pressed the install button. But then it says that my selection is like 3,000 map sections over the limit for my device.

I called Garmin support and they told me that the device has an (artificial) limit as to how many map segments can be transferred. Transferring them in two or three sections would just overwrite the last section written. However, he said that if I had bought the memory card version of TOPO 100k that the ENTIRE US would be on there.

That being said, is there some way to get around this artificial limitation? I feel like I just spent a lot of good money on a purposely gimped product.

... on a purposely gimped product.

Not on purpose. The history of the product started when GPSr only had a few Mbytes of internal memory and were not capable of storing the entire country. Some current very popular GPSrs come with only 24Mb of internal memory. Products using very large file sizes have only recently been made available - primarly for the newer units which can use very large micro memory cards but still have a limit on the number of segments that the information can be in.

The 'big' issue is that many purchasers are not getting the information about the differences in the mapset in internal memory, on DVD, on prerecorded micro memory card, or via internet download.