up to date?

We had a really frustrating day not caching yesterday.

About two months ago I became a premium member of Groundspeak so I could download Pocket Queries to my Oregon 300 when I went to visit my daughter in the Midlands. Yesterday we went to Tintern for the day, enjoying the sunshine and intending to do a few caches in a different area. Only to find that the gps would only show a no geocaches found message. This had also happened in Birmingham which I put it down to my error. I checked the flash card in my phone and the 2 gpx files were there but the Oregon could not read them! Well to say I was like a bear with 2 sore heads was an understatement.

I later found that the Oregon would not read certain files from the flash card but would read them from the internal memory. It appears on checking on the Garmin website that they have an upgrade to fix this known problem. By this time I was weeping and wailing at the bl**dy computer. Upgraded the Oregon and low and behold problem solved (humph)

Moral of the story – technology only works perfectly until some one finds a problem, look at Windows to see how many updates are constantly produced, and how often you have to update a virus checker to keep it safe.

Remember to update your GPS regularly.

Edited by Djinnsplace

I had a similar problem with my nuvi 310. Sending GPX files using Mapsource would sometimes fail. I got in the habit of making sure they were on there before i left home. This only happens with GPX files, it was solid with LOCs

Edited by Subedei

The way it used to be (not *that* long ago):

- Email notification of new cache arrives

- Click on link in email

- Cache page loads

- Enter co-ords into gps

- Decrypt and make note of hint

- Go and find cache. May even have a chance at the FTF if lucky.

The way it is now:

- Email notification of new cache arrives

- Click on link in email

- Page tries to load, IE hangs, laptop fan goes nuts, kill IE via Task Manager

- Make note of cache name (from email)

- Pick up pocketPC and walk twenty minutes into town in search of public wifi

- Find pub which allegedly has public wifi

- Said public wifi doesn't work properly with mobile devices. Finish drink and go looking for different public wifi.

- Connect to wifi, load gc.com.

- Try to log in, shame the name and password boxes are only one character wide, take three tries to log in due to repeatedly mis-typing "squid" and not being able to see it

- Do (slowly and with much scrolling) search on cache name

- Discover that there are forty-seven caches with more-or-less the same name

- Eventually find right cache listing. It's already been FTFed. Hmph.

- Run out of lunch break, will have to come back to it tomorrow.

Apparently, this is progress.