Events in Groundspeak newsletter

huntfor

Is there a way to see upcoming events AND sort them by distance besides being notified of them in the weekly Groundspeak newsletter?

I'm referring to Events, not event caches. Unless all events are event caches.

Edited by huntfor

You can set up a Pocket Query for Selected Types: events (and CITO events?) from origin : home coords, and just preview it (don't set a date for it to run).

It will do exactly what you want. show events with distance. Pay attention to dates, events are generally not archived for a couple of weeks to a month after they've happened.

Search for events using this page

That showed me events that passed as well as a few new ones. I want to know about them before they're over so I can plan to get there.

Maybe I'm not asking the right thing anyway. I want to go to meetings to find nearby geocachers and learn more about all this.

You can set up a Pocket Query for Selected Types: events (and CITO events?) from origin : home coords, and just preview it (don't set a date for it to run).

It will do exactly what you want. show events with distance. Pay attention to dates, events are generally not archived for a couple of weeks to a month after they've happened.

I'm going to try that right now!

This is a partial description of what I was looking for, except that now I know they are called "event caches" rather than a group meeting or some other title. I think I previously did not select "event caches" in my PQ's.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event "Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans."

I finally set up the PQ to do what I want! I selected the event caches, active, past seven days and found three upcoming events.

Thanks very much!

Edited by huntfor

Welcome to Geocaching!

The other option is on your profile page - scroll down the right hand side and find the Search Options section and you should find this:

*Search for nearest geocaches from your home coordinates (filter out finds).

* List newest in Alberta

If I click on Newest in Alberta:

Event Cache GeoTriad Geocoin (1 item(s)) (1/1) Size: Not chosen

30 Jun 10 New! CONVOY - Calgary - Calgary Area Cachers Road Trip! by peanutbutterbreadandjam & PrairieSwan (GC234K1) Alberta Send to GPS

Event Cache (2/1.5) Size: Regular

19 Jun 10 New! Backroads and Beaver Hats: A History mystery event by ewefolks (GC28XJ1) Alberta Send to GPS

Event Cache (1/1) Size: Not chosen

19 Jun 10 New! CARL2 - Lethbridge's 2nd Cache & Relax event by EO-LETH (GC26QFT) Alberta

Event Cache (1/1) Size: Other

6 Jun 10 New! Medicine Hat Geocachers meet 'n' greet by King.Tut (GC28T6P) Alberta Send to GPS

Event Cache (2/2) Size: Regular

5 Jun 10 New! Victorian Geocache Murder Mystery #2 by ewefolks (GC27HFT) Alberta Send to GPS

30 May 10 New! Maple Flag 2010 by MKFmly (GC28CW8) Alberta Send to GPS

Cache In Trash Out Event (1.5/2) Size: Other

29 May 10 New! Calgary Area Cachers CITO - May 29, 2010 by mrcanoehead224 (GC2852P) Alberta Send to GPS

29 May 10 New! Canadian Badlands Breakfast Event by Canadian Badlands Geocaching Association (GC27B4N) Alberta Send to GPS

28 May 10 New! Canadian Badlands Caffeine Infusion by Canadian Badlands Geocaching Association (GC27X98) Alberta Send to GPS

28 May 10 New! Canadian Badlands Cache and Release 1 by Canadian Badlands Geocaching Association (GC26V26) Alberta Send to GPS

Event Cache Geocoins: Traveling Cacher Geopatch (2) (1/1.5) Size: Not chosen

27 May 10 New! Pizza & Beer - Vacations by One Bad Ant (GC28BRZ) Alberta Send to GPS

Event Cache Geocacher's License Geocoin 2007 (1 item(s)) (1/1) Size: Not chosen

24 May 10 New! GEOCATTING in Killam by DarnSocks (GC27MZX) Alberta Send to GPS

Traditional Cache (2/1) Size: Micro

21 May 10 New! Frankenstein's Neck by b3d00 (GC28Z5H) Alberta Today*

As you can see the caches are sorted by date and as events are in the future, they are first, followed by the caches published today and as you can see Frankenstein's Neck was found today. Also a good way to check to see if there are unfound caches in your area. We may be very busy for the next few weeks!

The Pocket Queries will give you events outside of your province/state/country so that you can plan ahead.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

The mwellmans

Welcome to Geocaching!

The other option is on your profile page - scroll down the right hand side and find the Search Options section and you should find this:

*Search for nearest geocaches from your home coordinates (filter out finds).

* List newest in Alberta

The Pocket Queries will give you events outside of your province/state/country so that you can plan ahead.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

The mwellmans

Thank you for the Welcome! That was very nice! Now that I see how its done - thank you for that, I see it was what Markwell was trying to tell me, also. I appreciate the step-by-step instructions! :)

Happy caching! Looks like you'll be busy forever! "Frankenstein's neck" - wow! The names people come up with.

Steph / huntfor

Edited by huntfor