Travel Bug Help

capow62

Hi,

I have a travel bug that I have had for far to long. My intent was to take it to Ohio on our yearly trip there, but as things happen, we haven't made it there yet. My daughter who sometimes geocaches wth us will be traveling there in a few days and will be visiting with relatives who are geocachers and are registered on this site. Is it acceptable to pass it along to another geocacher without putting it in an actual geocache first?

Thanks for your help.

I would say a qualified yes. If you want to go an extra yard send a message to the owner and ask. Where it gets iffy is mailing the TB to another location.

Can your daughter grab it from you, and the Ohio cachers grab it from her. That's legit.

You say that your daughter "sometimes geocaches with us ", but you do not say that she IS a geocacher.

I always recommend not placing a traveler into the hands of a non-cacher.

It is possible (and used fairly often) to hand-off a traveler to another geocacher using the "grab" log.

I will not say that you shouldn't use your daughter as a courier, but I will stand by my above statement.

Let's see how others respond. ;)

Hi,

I have a travel bug that I have had for far to long. My intent was to take it to Ohio on our yearly trip there, but as things happen, we haven't made it there yet. My daughter who sometimes geocaches wth us will be traveling there in a few days and will be visiting with relatives who are geocachers and are registered on this site. Is it acceptable to pass it along to another geocacher without putting it in an actual geocache first?

Thanks for your help.

Handing off to another cacher is perfectly fine, but as GG brought handing off to a non-geocacher is never a good idea. If anything just put the bug back into a local cache and let someone else pick it up.

And since it was brought up - Never snailmail a bug without owner permission. The point is to journey through caches not reach the goal in one big jump.