TB greed or is it just me?

chiddick

Hi all,

I started geocaching a few weeks ago with my family and it has been lots of fun. A few days ago we made up a cache of our own and found a nice spot to hide it. The cache was activated today and received about 10 hits in the first 6 hours. It seems new caches are not that common here in Helsinki.

Anyway. I was checking throughout the day online as to what was going on with the cache. At one point earlier this evening there were 3 TB's that had been deposited in our cache. By the time that I got there they were all gone. On checking the log I saw that all 3 TB's had been taken at the same time by the same person...

My question is: is this cool or just plain greedy? My kids were really excited that we could take *one* and place it in our second new cache that we were to plant this weekend, near our summer cottage about 250miles away.

They were disappointed.

Is this kind of action normal or what?

Sorry if this is obvious but I'm a noob at this.

Thanks,

Jon

Travel bugs are released to travel so if you or anyone else can assist the bug - move it, it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 20.

Some caches try to place trade restrictions by saying you can't take a bug unless you leave one, but the fact is no one any business placing movement restrictions on someone else's bug. These TB prisons are frowned on and the owners cannot delete Found it logs just because someone moved more than one bug.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What BlueDeuce says...

It's cool.

But I also understand your feeling that it seems a bit greedy because I remember feeling the same way when we started out: If there were 3 trackables in a cache I felt it was "greedy" to take all of them at once.

However, it's all about keeping them moving and helping them on their journeys.

Rather than wait for another TB to turn up to go into your next cache placement, have you thought about starting off your own brand new TB? Or maybe one for each child? Something that they can choose and plan a mission for.

MrsB :grin:

Thanks for the replies. I did some reading around and also found similar experiences. Yeah, I guess I get it now but I still *kind of* thing that taking all 3 from a new cache that was obviously getting some heavy visits is over-the-top.

Whatever.

I already order TB's and am looking forward to setting them free. I'm off to the US in a couple of months so will deposit it there and see if it can find its own way home :-)

Regards,

Jon