Help with conditions based on character location

Doonchak

Hello all.

Brand new to the Wherigo world, and trying to build my first cart. Started using the official builder, but switched over to Urwigo after reading all the feedback. Some parts seem easier on Urwigo, but being unfamiliar with some of the terms (even after going through the Wherigo tutorials) can make it difficult.

So here is my question...and please keep in mind that I am fairly tech-stupid :)

I am trying to set a condition that will cause a character to be set to visible in a zone if they are currently in the zone. This character is going to be present at this zone at the start of the cart, but will not be there when the player returns later and I don't want him turning visible when the player returns as this character will no longer be among the living :)

Thanks in advance for any advice...and expect a ton more questions as I try to muddle my way through this, hehe.

So on entry you set the character to visible?

I would possibly set the character to visible when you first enter but then set the character visible property to false using the on exit event.

If not you need to set a variable that is changed when the character dies and use that in an if statement to determine if the character is visible or not.

Hope that helps.

Oh, killing characters off. Since one of my side jobs/interests is in the haunted attraction industry, I'd love to see a slasher cart. (While I doubt that's what you're making, it's still fun to say.)

When the Player enters some other zone of your choice (coinciding with your plot), you should be able to make your now-deceased character inactive. That should kill him off. If a zone doesn't exist when the character should be killed off, you could create an active, invisible zone that would do the trick. Either way, put the code to deactivate the character into the zone's Proximity event. (Proximity instead of Enter due to the way Garmin Players handle zones. Otherwise, the player would have to zero out.)

Failing that, I hear chainsaws are still in season...

the active/inactive thing works well with zones, but i am not so sure about characters

but i have a feeling that you're overcomplicating the whole thing.

you said that you want to set the character to visible when player first appears in the zone, but you don't want it to be visible later.

so that means that you are setting it visible in OnEnter?

why not just make the character visible by default, then do nothing in OnEnter, and finally set it invisible somewhere else (kill the character) and be done with it?

alternately, instead of setting invisible, you can move the character to nowhere

(i am not sure how to do this in urwigo, but i guess there is an option to set "nowhere" or "nothing" or "nil" as a target of move)

then you don't need to care about whether the character is visible

alternately, instead of setting invisible, you can move the character to nowhere

(i am not sure how to do this in urwigo, but i guess there is an option to set "nowhere" or "nothing" or "nil" as a target of move)

then you don't need to care about whether the character is visible

You set it on the triggering event, drag across the 'move' action and then the character into it.

The default location is none.