how to get gdb to oregon 400t

I have an Oregon 400t that I've used for a year to geocache.

Tomorrow we're going on a hike and the website I'm getting the trail from will let me download a GDB file but I have no idea how to download this and get it to open on my oregon - and I can't exactly "hope" I do it right and then get out there and it's not on my GPS unit...

They say that I can download a GPX - BUT their link/download is broken or something http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/OldRag/ so I can't do that...

Is there a free and semi-easy way to get this GDB file onto my GPS tonight so that I can do this hike in the morning?

Oregon doesn't take GDB. If you have Mapsource then load the gdb and then save as and change the type box to GPX and that will work.

I don't have mapsource... and when I tried to look for it I wasn't able to find a place to download it (sounds like it's a disc I have to get?) Is there any other option for me or am I not going to be able to do this hike tomorrow?

Friend, mapsource is a free application from Garmin. You can download it here. After it is installed, you can transform your GDB file into the desired GPX. :) Also, if you need a tutorial on it, Garmin makes it available here as downloadable file. These are all for PC computers, if you need Mac OS X versions instead, let me know or just search it on google. Have fun!

Oregon doesn't take GDB. If you have Mapsource then load the gdb and then save as and change the type box to GPX and that will work.

I don't have mapsource... and when I tried to look for it I wasn't able to find a place to download it (sounds like it's a disc I have to get?) Is there any other option for me or am I not going to be able to do this hike tomorrow?

That's the site I was on - and I downloaded it - but when I tried to open it to install it they told me I had to have a previous version of mapsource... That's for the 57.68MB file... the other file said it was a patch and I knew I didn't need that...

Try a google search for "free mapsource"

Click the first search result and read the first post - that should take care of you.

Don't use the quotes in your search :)

And remember - you don't get any maps - just the application which will read GDB files, thereby enabling you to open a GDB file, then save as GPX. Then send the GPX to your device (save it in your x:\garmin\gpx folder where x = the drive letter for your unit). Open the track using your Track Manager on the 400t.

A bonus is that if you get free maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com they will be available in Mapsource.

Edited by Jeep4two

I really appreciate everyone's help and I swear I'm not stupid... :)

I have the program downloaded as the .exe file and every time I try to open it to install it, it starts the process and tells me "previous mapsource not found! Setup will terminate."

So I'm not sure where this "previous" mapsource is suppose to be...

I have the program downloaded as the .exe file and every time I try to open it to install it, it starts the process and tells me "previous mapsource not found! Setup will terminate."

Just Download and install BaseCamp. The link to MapSource is an update. BaseCamp does not make you go through all that trouble and might be better suited to an Oregon 400t GPS as it will display your installed topo map on your computer. Edited by coggins

Just Download and install BaseCamp. The link to MapSource is an update. BaseCamp does not make you got through all that trouble and might be better suited to an Oregon 400t GPS as it will display your installed topo map on your computer.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... I downloaded basecamp... and could see the file but couldn't figure out how to change it to gpx... then downloaded GPS babel and that converted it to GPX and I got it onto my GPS... and I checked - it's there and I can do my hike tomorrow - THANK YOU!

Just Download and install BaseCamp. The link to MapSource is an update. BaseCamp does not make you go through all that trouble and might be better suited to an Oregon 400t GPS as it will display your installed topo map on your computer.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... I downloaded basecamp... and could see the file but couldn't figure out how to change it to gpx... then downloaded GPS babel and that converted it to GPX and I got it onto my GPS... and I checked - it's there and I can do my hike tomorrow - THANK YOU!

Go to File->Import-> and select the OldRag.gdb and BaseCamp should open the file without anything else needed...

Oh, I checked your link from your OP, and to get the .gpx from that page, just right click on the link and do a save file as... and save it to your computer... if you want the OldRag.gpx that is...

Edited by coggins

Hehehehe....... I downloaded the .GPX file and loaded it into basecamp. Works like a charm. That's actually a pretty cool feature! Who knew you could do other stuff with GPSrs besides geocache. :)

Oh, I checked your link from your OP, and to get the .gpx from that page, just right click on the link and do a save file as... and save it to your computer... if you want the OldRag.gpx that is...

Edited by geojibby