Should I search for markers already logged?

Agent Okie

The recent discussion about railroad row's caused me to research my area again. I discovered that all but four markers are along the railroad. Two of the structure markers for my area have already been visited and logged. One is a dome of the nearby college. Should I log a visit again since I see it everyday?

Two of the bm near the railroads are supposed to be across the street from the tracks. One is just an X on the culvert where the marker once was, and I haven't found the second.

Since I am not supposed to tresspass on the railroad, I guess I'm limited to the few that are accessible and possibly still present.

I have been researching the recently logged bm's and found that each have been visited only once. Therefore my question...

Should I search and log markers that have already been logged?

I will be adding a signature soon! icon_smile.gif

Go ahead and look for them. Just because someone else has found them doesn't mean that you can't look for it. I know that many benchmark hunters get a thrill of being the first to find a particular mark, especially the older and remote marks. But truth be told, although most of the marks we search haven't been officially logged in the NGS data sheets for many years, local surveyors usually know of their whereabouts and use them.

As a matter of fact, I 'found' one, GU1659, a few days ago that I used as a control point for a boundary survey. I know that other surveyors in the area have used it in the past 15 or so years too. It's last official NGS log was 1972.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

quote:
Originally posted by Kewaneh & Shark:

Go ahead and look for them. Just because someone else has found them doesn't mean that you can't look for it. I know that many benchmark hunters get a thrill of being the first to find a particular mark, especially the older and remote marks. But truth be told, although most of the marks we search haven't been officially logged in the NGS data sheets for many years, local surveyors usually know of their whereabouts and use them.

As a matter of fact, I 'found' one, GU1659, a few days ago that I used as a control point for a boundary survey. I know that other surveyors in the area have used it in the past 15 or so years too. It's last official NGS log was 1972.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

good point

Yes defiantly hunt one that already has been found , I was in a area yesterday that I had found three benchmark radio towers and now they are being taken down for a new shopping center. I logged them again as destroyed. In these days of bulldozers and malls they are falling fast and need to be rechecked……………JOE