Newbie setting up GPS Mag Mer Platinum

Hey,

Newbie Vic Aus, nil finds and an old? GPS in good order. Where do I start? Want to find out the best, easiest way to enter waypoints from computer to GPS. Have the serial port connection. How do I find it on the computer and transfer info to and from GPS/Computer. Have an SD Card and reader. Do I need both? GSAK 7.6.2.45 unregd installed. Have tried a couple of things, now, too confused to remember what's been tried :anicute: Would like a checklist (if poss)that would include correct settings for the GPS etc. Maybe a Trig point in Bgo to check GPS settings (piece of mind).

Hey,

Newbie Vic Aus, nil finds and an old? GPS in good order. Where do I start? Want to find out the best, easiest way to enter waypoints from computer to GPS. Have the serial port connection. How do I find it on the computer and transfer info to and from GPS/Computer. Have an SD Card and reader. Do I need both? GSAK 7.6.2.45 unregd installed. Have tried a couple of things, now, too confused to remember what's been tried :anicute: Would like a checklist (if poss)that would include correct settings for the GPS etc. Maybe a Trig point in Bgo to check GPS settings (piece of mind).

<smacks myself upside the head> I just spent the better part of twenty five minutes typing up a reply, then thinking that I wrote it up for the wrong GPSr, deleted it all and wrote something else, then realized that I had it right to begin with and had to type over yet again.

An hour later...

GSAK is truly a wondrous tool, and one that I wish I could understand a little better. That said, you can connect your GPSr (short for GPS receiver) to the computer and then send the waypoints directly from GSAK. On the menu bar select 'GPS' and then 'Setup'. Select Some trial and error may be required re: COM ports, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get it right. Since you using the Meridian series, the baud rates must match or it won't work. You can select the baud rate on your GPSr by going to Menu, Setup, Baud Rate. Higher numbers are going to be quicker.

Of course, since you're using a Meridian you can send the waypoints directly to the SD card and then load them from the card into the GPSr. In GSAK, go to File, Export, Magellan eXplorist and SD card. Select the drive letter your SD card occupies and type in a name for the file and send it to the card. Put the card in the GPSr and then upload the file to the GPSr (Menu, Card Utilities, Load waypoints). Presto!

Be aware that there are certain limitations to the Meridian series in regards to the quantity of waypoints. You can not have more than 500 waypoints loaded on to the GPSr at one time. Any more than that and they won't load off the card. I usually go to 'Menu, Setup, Clear Memory, Wpts/routes' before I load any new waypoints off the card. You can, of course, have as many files on the card as you want. I keep a set of waypoints for my local area, another for the city I layover in, etc.

As to the second part: Correct settings? If you haven't had the unit operating, then it will be necessary to perform an initialization in order to set the date and time and tell the GPSr where it is. Doing so will tell it where to look for the satellites. (Menu, Setup, Initialize). Other than that, most of the settings are going to be 'personal preference'. I, for instance, turn the screen contrast down to the low 40's to preserve a bit of battery life, but it really isn't necessary since I'm using rechargeable batteries. I've turned certain screens off because I never use them, but again, that's my personal preference. I change the backlight timer depending on conditions (driving, it's on all the time. Caching, it's set for 30 seconds).

I also leave the electronic compass turned off on my MeriPlat because I hate to have to calibrate the blasted thing every time I change batteries. The compass rose has the sun/moon on it, and that works just fine when I'm not carrying my Silva Ranger compass with me. One simply aligns the sun/moon icon on the screen with the real sun/moon, and the arrow points at the cache. Welcome!

Hey,

Newbie Vic Aus, nil finds and an old? GPS in good order. Where do I start? Want to find out the best, easiest way to enter waypoints from computer to GPS. Have the serial port connection. How do I find it on the computer and transfer info to and from GPS/Computer. Have an SD Card and reader. Do I need both? GSAK 7.6.2.45 unregd installed. Have tried a couple of things, now, too confused to remember what's been tried :o Would like a checklist (if poss)that would include correct settings for the GPS etc. Maybe a Trig point in Bgo to check GPS settings (piece of mind).

<smacks myself upside the head> I just spent the better part of twenty five minutes typing up a reply, then thinking that I wrote it up for the wrong GPSr, deleted it all and wrote something else, then realized that I had it right to begin with and had to type over yet again.

An hour later...

GSAK is truly a wondrous tool, and one that I wish I could understand a little better. That said, you can connect your GPSr (short for GPS receiver) to the computer and then send the waypoints directly from GSAK. On the menu bar select 'GPS' and then 'Setup'. Select Some trial and error may be required re: COM ports, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get it right. Since you using the Meridian series, the baud rates must match or it won't work. You can select the baud rate on your GPSr by going to Menu, Setup, Baud Rate. Higher numbers are going to be quicker.

Of course, since you're using a Meridian you can send the waypoints directly to the SD card and then load them from the card into the GPSr. In GSAK, go to File, Export, Magellan eXplorist and SD card. Select the drive letter your SD card occupies and type in a name for the file and send it to the card. Put the card in the GPSr and then upload the file to the GPSr (Menu, Card Utilities, Load waypoints). Presto!

Be aware that there are certain limitations to the Meridian series in regards to the quantity of waypoints. You can not have more than 500 waypoints loaded on to the GPSr at one time. Any more than that and they won't load off the card. I usually go to 'Menu, Setup, Clear Memory, Wpts/routes' before I load any new waypoints off the card. You can, of course, have as many files on the card as you want. I keep a set of waypoints for my local area, another for the city I layover in, etc.

As to the second part: Correct settings? If you haven't had the unit operating, then it will be necessary to perform an initialization in order to set the date and time and tell the GPSr where it is. Doing so will tell it where to look for the satellites. (Menu, Setup, Initialize). Other than that, most of the settings are going to be 'personal preference'. I, for instance, turn the screen contrast down to the low 40's to preserve a bit of battery life, but it really isn't necessary since I'm using rechargeable batteries. I've turned certain screens off because I never use them, but again, that's my personal preference. I change the backlight timer depending on conditions (driving, it's on all the time. Caching, it's set for 30 seconds).

I also leave the electronic compass turned off on my MeriPlat because I hate to have to calibrate the blasted thing every time I change batteries. The compass rose has the sun/moon on it, and that works just fine when I'm not carrying my Silva Ranger compass with me. One simply aligns the sun/moon icon on the screen with the real sun/moon, and the arrow points at the cache. Welcome!

Thnx for quick reply ...appreciate your time

Edited by Ruley

Tried SD setup. Was able to load 20 waypoints into file on SD card however GPSr says Error There are NO DATA FILES. Wondering if problem is in the file name Will try via direct cable tomorrow.

Thanks again

Obviously new to posting on forums too

I'm moving this to the GPS Units and Software forum where the experts lurk and might be able to help.

Thanks for your time fella's. Tried via direct cable last night same thing. Gave up at 3am

Turned on GPS this arvo

Hadn't realised last night that the 20 waypoints (5Km Radius of home) had been placed straight onto the maps as icons. Had added new high detail maps over base map 2 days ago and didn't see them in the clutter

Is that how its supposed to be or has mega-fiddling done it by accident.

Yep thats right, followed both types of instructions, job done, ...dunno how :D

More fiddling required unless someone knows what goes

Thanks agian