get item command

M&TCacheSeekers

i have put together a Wherigo cartridge and have a question about items.

i have it set where a player must enter 5 different zones and pick up 3 items in each zone

i have set each item to a certain location in the zone.

when running the emulator to test it, as soon as the player enter the zone they can see the items, this is find

but instead of having to walk to with like 5 feet of the item the player can click on get item and they pick it up

even if they are 150 feet from it.

how do i set it up so they have to walk to within 5ft of an item before getting it. does this work this way in the emulator and not in the field. i have not gone to the field to try it yet.

would like it to show up on the emulator or gps unit in way that when get so close to item it will show

HERE in the view on unit.

this is my first attempt at Wherigo and would sure apprectiate any help.

if you really set it up so that players would have to get 5ft to the item to pick it up, they would kill you :)

five feet is a very very small distance. much smaller than even the best GPSr's precision can get you. nobody could ever get close enough to the item to pick it up, so playing your cartridge would be an exercise in frustration.

bear in mind that when you're geocaching, you don't need to see zero on the display to pick up the cache. in Wherigo, you would actually need to get to the precise coordinates, which is impossible most of the time.

if you want to get players closer to the items, make the zones smaller - but again, not too small. 15 metres wide (cca 50 feet) is the recommended minimum - smaller than that and even Colorado will throw you out of the zone on occasion

with that in mind, here's what you can do:

- let's take one "main zone", which is the one that should contain three items

- for each item, create a 50ft wide zone. set it to invisible and inactive and place it around the item's supposed location

- this zone should display items "on proximity" (there is a drop-down for that). make sure that "distance range" for this zone is -1 and "proximity range" is at least as big as the main zone (which is 150ft, you said?)

- place each item in its corresponding zone, instead of the main zone. set the proper coordinates.

- create an OnEnter script for the main zone. in it, set each of the small zones active

- similarly, in OnExit for the main zone, set the small zones inactive

(if you already have OnEnter or OnExit, add the activation/deactivation to it)

- repeat for each of the big zones

hope this helps

hmm, that's not all.

you would need to do a few more steps for each item:

- make the "take" command disabled by default

- enable it in the small zone's OnEnter

- and disable it again in OnExit

...the end result is this:

each item has its own zone, which is invisible

the zone is activated when you enter the big zone. at this point, items become visible, because the small zones "broadcast" them to a certain distance

so you can see the item, but can't pick it up, because the "take" command is missing

when you come close enough, you enter the small zone and item's "take" is activated. you can pick up the item and move out

still, there's a bunch of loose ends. if you're not a programmer, i suggest you try to come up with something less complicated than this.