topo, raster, planimetric? is there some introduction to each kind of map?

Planimetric - Hydro, transportation, named features - no contour lines

Topo - Hydro, transportation, named features, and contour lines - expect these mapsets to be 2 - 4

or more times larger than a planimetric map of the same area.

planimetric and topo are in vector (line) format. Different map authors will included data from different

sources and may process the data differently.

Raster - this is a pixel image, usually of a printed map. Garmin limits these "Custom Maps' to about

96 cells for 1024x1024 pixels. How much ground area can be included depends on the pixel

size being used.

Garmin's Birdseye imagery - Pixel imagery of the earth's surface. Size appears to be limited to available

memory on the GPSr.

Edited by snowfleurys

topo, and planimetric; topo for off trail planimetric for while on the roads (since they're the most up-to-date most likely).

Yup, depends on your area.

At least for New York and PA, the latest topos were created before the Census released their 2009 TIGER dataset in the fall of 2009, and the notes for at least one planimetric release say they used the 2009 TIGER data. In some counties (like mine) the 2009 set has major improvements.

Another option is that there is a map set generated from OpenStreetMap data, which should have the highest quality road data of any noncommercial source. I forget the URL - as they update weekly direct from OSM, they aren't listed on gpsfiledepot if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong. URL is something like garmin.na1400.info or something like that?

Topo is clearly best when not on a road. :)