Renting GPS's

Hi!

I'm looking to host a geocache day with some local families and am in need of about 10-15 gps units to borrow for the day. Has anyone had luck renting low-end units and from where?

Seems like those that rent get a small fortune for even "low end" models like an old eTrex H. We looked into something similar for an event here, and decided it would be better to pool our own resources.

As an example, GPS4Rent price for eTrex H = $5.95 per day, min 5 day rental! http://gps4rent.com/products.php?category_...vailable+Models

These guys will set you back even more: http://gpsrental.lowergear.com/RentHiking.aspx It sure as heck wouldn't take long for these guys to pay for a new unit at those rates.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find a rental arrangement that is cost effective anywhere.

As ecanderson suggested contacting Geocaching organizations and trying to pool resources is a great way to approach this.

Other ideas: Check with your local Agricultural Extension and/or 4H offices. They may have access to some units and be willing to allow you to use them for your event. I was able to get a kit of 30 eTrex H units from my regional 4H offices. Keep in mind the expense of these units and the fact that having good connections may be required to get that kind of a loan. I was lucky.

Other organizations like local schools, libraries and parks (state, local, county parks etc) may have units that they use for activities. Again a good connection to those organizations may be required - but my local high school made 4 eTrex Summits available to me once as well.

If you can't come up with 10-15 units, consider teaming your families up into larger groups. That works well too. I was at an event at a local state park and a fair number of families staying at the park got wind of the event and came over. A number of caching families took them along for the days hiking and caching and it worked out very well.

Best of luck.