explorist gc question about the compass

imjedi

I have been a loyal Magellan user for several years now (explorist 210, and Triton 2000). I have always used the map screen (with "north up") to find caches and then used the compass when I get out of the car to zero in and find the cache. With this new "explorist gc" I just got today, setting the map to be "north up" also seems to lock the compass in a "north up" fashion. How do I get the compass to point north while the map remains "north up"?

I have tried all the different compass styles, and with the exception of the "strip compass" (which comes close) they all are stuck on "north up" if the map is set to "north up".

I have been a loyal Magellan user for several years now (explorist 210, and Triton 2000). I have always used the map screen (with "north up") to find caches and then used the compass when I get out of the car to zero in and find the cache. With this new "explorist gc" I just got today, setting the map to be "north up" also seems to lock the compass in a "north up" fashion. How do I get the compass to point north while the map remains "north up"?

I have tried all the different compass styles, and with the exception of the "strip compass" (which comes close) they all are stuck on "north up" if the map is set to "north up".

You could always just switch to the dashboard view and follow the compass there if that's all your looking for. Not really sure I'm following what you mean about the compass being stuck in north up when the map is set to north up, this actually makes sense to me. I would expect the compass to point north in the same direction of north on the map.

You could always just switch to the dashboard view and follow the compass there if that's all your looking for. Not really sure I'm following what you mean about the compass being stuck in north up when the map is set to north up, this actually makes sense to me. I would expect the compass to point north in the same direction of north on the map.

The dashboard does the same thing. Both of my other magellans do not do this. when you set the map to be "north up" as a map actually is, the compass stays working like a compass does with "heading up". I can understand wanting it this way when you overlay the compass with the map. but why wouldnt you want a map to act like a map and a compass to act like a compass? I'm sure we all cache using different methods and screens. So does anybody know of a way?

The dashboard does the same thing. Both of my other magellans do not do this. when you set the map to be "north up" as a map actually is, the compass stays working like a compass does with "heading up". I can understand wanting it this way when you overlay the compass with the map. but why wouldnt you want a map to act like a map and a compass to act like a compass? I'm sure we all cache using different methods and screens. So does anybody know of a way?

I'll admit, I just got my GC yesterday and I'm new to geocaching. After playing with the compass lastnight a little I see where you are coming from. I tried some of the different compass graphics and noticed that the one that looks like a tape across the top of the screen does change to show your bearing. I'm guessing the normal compass overlay is meant to have the tracking arrow point to the bearing on the compass star while it stays static on the screen. Probably just a different way of thinking with the way they want to display information now. Since I have nothing to base past experiences on at this point I'm fine with the way it is on the GC. :) If you are used to one way though I can see how it would be frustrating to see it changed.

The reason I always use the compass to zero in on caches is because on the older models i couldn't zoom in very far on the map so even when I'm 30 feet from GZ it would look like I'm on top of the cache. The compass would always point to the cache even when I'm 1 foot away. This new GC however lets me zoom in quite far, so that may eliminate my dependency on the compass. Guess its just as you said, its going to take some getting used too.

Decided to call magellan on this matter. No way to have the compass orientation differ from the map orientation.

Also asked about the coin i didnt recieve (i saw a responce to this question in another post but thought I'd ask while i had them on the phone). response was "the coins would be shipped by may 3rd"