Newbie Needs Help

jdecke01

Hi. I am totally new to this geocaching and would like some assistance to help me find my first cache. I have located a couple of caches on the site, that should be fairly easy given the difficulty rankings and terrain. Now, the fun, how do I find these using my GPS device? I have entered the coordinates into my GPS (a tom tom device), and it takes me to the general area...but looking for advice on how to download an application that will work on my cell phone a palm treo that will help me when not in my vehicle...

Additionally, when given the coordinates, is this the exact location of the cache, or just a general area for the cache...any advice would be appreciated...I am trying to take some folks with me on my journey tormorrow, and it would be a real motivator if we were able to find a cache...

I appreciate any advice..

THANK YOU.

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :huh:

Yep the coordinates listed on the cache page should be right at the cache itself, unless specified otherwise on the cache description, sometimes the posted coordinates are just a starting point, but it should be clear if that is the case,

Your TomTom should work "ok" for finding caches, although quite a few people have commented those devices don't have precise accuracy (so I'm told, I've never used a TomTom)

And, for now you don't need to worry about software or programs to load caches into your phone or GPS. Just jot down the details from the cache page or print the cache page & take it with you :blink: Really, keep things simple till you get the hang of things!

Good luck!

Hello!

We're new too, with our 11th cache found just today. We were really lucky on our first one, and found a cache real close to the house that was kid friendly. We happened to get on the right side of the hiding spot to be seen. My oldest looked up and found it within a couple minutes of looking. :-)

We have a TomTom too - but it says "you have reached your destination". Well, that's all fine and dandy if you have good clues to finding the cache - but if you're in the middle of a cemetary with no clue other than "you have reached your destination" lol - it can be a bit harder to find.

We pretty much thought we combed two local cemeteries, and didn't find.

The hubby saw the problem right off. "Well, you need a different GPS." We went that night and purchased a small hand held etrex by Garmin, and that thing is great. Kind of a pain to plunk in all the coordinates, but I'm not even up to getting a cord for the PC on that thing yet.

We got ours for $99.00 at a local sporting goods store, and had a 20 buck off coupon from the Entertainment book. So with tax, 85 bucks. Well worth it! The kids get a kick out of following the compass screen, and I get a kick out of giving them a good opportunity to find. Wandering around without a clue is NOT fun for two young boys, along with the disappointment of the no find.

So, now we use the TomTom for the driving part - and the etrex for the walking part. Works great!

Thanks!

The McKee Family 2