Delorme Maps

I'm really interested in upgrading to a Delorme device but am concerned about my map options. I'm moving to Europe this summer, but it appears that Delorme provides very few, if any, maps of Europe. Can someone please confirm this? I could always upgrade my Garmin to another Garmin, but I'd really like a PN-40. Thanks.

DeLorme's map offerings outside of North America at the present are basically non-existent. They have a basic world basemap and that's pretty much it.

This may change in the next few months, but if you're buying right now and don't want to have any question about what you're going to get, you may be best off to stick with Garmin if they do have a good selection of European maps.

I think the most recent information released about this was in this blogpost.

Data updates…

* We are releasing worldwide high resolution aerial imagery for the PN-Series devices as a new NetLink subscription. This subscription will be available for PN-60 owners with Topo USA 9.0 as well as owners with previous PN-Series devices and earlier versions of Topo USA.

* The resolution of this imagery varies throughout the world but will be equal or better than that currently offered in the Map Library subscription for the US.

* We will release more information about the worldwide high resolution aerial imagery as development progresses.

* Our 1:250k world vector maps will also be offered through NetLink for purchase in small coverage areas. This dataset will appear in Topo USA and on the PN-Series devices giving more detailed roads to international users.

It's your call as to whether this is enough information to take the chance that they will have what you want when you need it. I would guess the data should become available by some time this summer, but that's just a guess on my part. Note that the vectorized maps are 1:250K...although I'm not familiar with the Garmin offerings, I'd bet they are more detailed than what DeLorme will be offering. No word on pricing that I remember seeing.

Thanks for the information. It's a tough call, especially since I'm more interested in topographical maps than aerial imagery. It appears that Delorme is moving closer to expanding it's offering of non-U.S. maps, but it's probably too early to make an investment decision, given my time frame.

I think the most recent information released about this was in this blogpost.

Data updates…

* We are releasing worldwide high resolution aerial imagery for the PN-Series devices as a new NetLink subscription. This subscription will be available for PN-60 owners with Topo USA 9.0 as well as owners with previous PN-Series devices and earlier versions of Topo USA.

* The resolution of this imagery varies throughout the world but will be equal or better than that currently offered in the Map Library subscription for the US.

* We will release more information about the worldwide high resolution aerial imagery as development progresses.

* Our 1:250k world vector maps will also be offered through NetLink for purchase in small coverage areas. This dataset will appear in Topo USA and on the PN-Series devices giving more detailed roads to international users.