Garmin "Spanner"

Is there any way to use Garmin's spanner mode on a non-Windows XP system?

If I understand it proprly, spanner mode on the GPS gets it to send data through USB (instead of connecting it as a mass storage device), while the spanner program that runs on XP grabs the USB data stream and makes it look like it's coming through a regular serial port.

All I want os the data coming through the USB port -- is Garmin using a normal tty mode like the older Explorist USB port did, or something trickier?

All I want os the data coming through the USB port -- is Garmin using a normal tty mode like the older Explorist USB port did, or something trickier?

I think it depends upon your GPSr model. The newer software releases for the Oregon x00 lines have several options for the "Interface" including "Garmin Serial", "Garmin Spanner", "NMEA In/Out", "Text Out". and "RTCM". I'm not sure about the other models, as I don't have any of them left any more to check.

Spanner is a Windows driver that speaks Garmin PVT protocol on one end and NMEA on the other. I think the Garmin models with "Spanner mode" are actually just Garmin PVT. (I could be wrong.) Haven't yet seen a Garmin make any attempt to encapsulate NMEA over USB at a bus level.

The Garmin hardware does not appear as a CDC/ACM class USB device with NMEA sentences the way Explorist did.

Are you asking something other than what you actually asked?

Edited by robertlipe

If that does not work Franson's GPSGate should be able to do anything.

Spanner was developed for the GPS18 only and does not always work with all Garmin units.

As I understand it the Oregons and Colorado will port serial NMEA directly over USB with the current firmware. I have no idea what software (or hardware) can deal with it.

As I understand it the Oregons and Colorado will port serial NMEA directly over USB with the current firmware. I have no idea what software (or hardware) can deal with it.

Not sure about that going to USB directly. I was under the impression the NMEA mode was added specifically for the Serial NMEA cable that is available as an accessory for the Colorado/Oregon. I have one of these cables and it's RS232 on the "output" end, which my HAM Radio likes.

I think the Garmin models with "Spanner mode" are actually just Garmin PVT. (I could be wrong.) ... The Garmin hardware does not appear as a CDC/ACM class USB device with NMEA sentences the way Explorist did.
Robert: Thanks, I figured you'd answer the question I asked :P

I recently bought a Garmin Foretrex 301 to use as a cycling computer & data logger. I noticed "Spanner" mode was available on the device's setup menu and was curious about that kind of data it was sending and if there were any alternatives to the Windows XP driver for using it.

Since I (think I) know you're a Mac user, the answer to the question you're not actually asking is "no".

But when in realtime tracking mode (-T) GPSBabel should be able to read the PVT from your Foretrex - even on a Mac - and spit up NMEA or KML with the notable caveat that it can't create an imaginary serial port; it writes to files and/or pipes.

...the answer to the question you're not actually asking is "no".
Oh, THAT question? The merest possibility of asking it had not even begun to consider crossing my mind.

Really, this device will live on the handlebars and only rarely see my computer. My curiosity about spanner protocol is more academic than practical. Kinda surprised to see it in a GPS meant for sporting use -- are cyclists and runners using it as a GPS puck, and carrying laptops with them? :)

Edited by lee_rimar

I never could get Spanner to work with XP or Vista.. The reason being, is because the interface is not supported by the OS's.. I queried this to garmin awhile back, when I got an HP Laptop that had nothing but USB sockets. Yet, the ironic thing, I had a Delorme LT-20, and Delorme's USB-to-Serial emulator worked just fine (when it wasn't disconnected, and sending random 'Error 4' errors.. (Error 4 means "Contact Your Vendor, OS License Invalid", (But no indication of where it came from. unless you called-up the process viewer.)) There is another program out there, that I've wanted to run with either an eTrex, or the DeLorme 'Pucks' (The LT-20 & LT-40), which seems to generate a 'Invalid Stream' error, for the NMEA stream.. it will send Zero values as ",," between the comma's.. The ONLY GPSr I found that sends the ",0," value, was the Microsoft/Pharos GPS-500.. (which, itself, is basicly a Serial GPS with a Serial-to-USB dongle.)

To answer Lee's comment, there are some people who use software, that seems to rely strictly on a serial NMEA stream. (and haven't quite caught-up to the 'USB' world yet.) The output from the USB Garmin's, is strictly Garmin-Garmin protocol, and strictly via the USB, No serial emulation.