Need GPS Datalogger with long battery life

The state of the art for data logger battery life is well under 8 days. 20-30 hours is the upper edge. Some units contain G sensors so they can mostly shut themselves down when not moving but over 8 days, it's likely you'll still be moving more than that. So as a practical matter, you're still looking at replacing or supplementing the power pack.

Lithium AAs are expensive, but light. A handful of these would get you through 8 days. There are solar chargers around and external battery packs can also be used.

http://www.semsons.com will give you some idea of available logger options.

1) I use rechargable NiMH batteries, they are pretty cheap now. I have about 6 sets. I record during the day when i am going somewhere, but turn the GPS off at camp and overnight. In this way i find batteries will last a day or two. I need to check the battery level sometimes to be sure to replace them before they run out.

2) On the data storage, my gps does this well, perhaps other Garmins also.

I have the Legend HCx with a 2GB memory card installed. I have it in a mode where it automatically saves a new GPX file into the 2GB card each day. So i each day it creates a file named like this 20100407.gpx which contains my track(s) for the day. Of note these GPX files contain the timestamps for each point also. Due to limitations of the number of map segments, i am only able to fill my 2gb card about half full of maps, leaving 1GB for storing GPX files. I figure this will last me for years in storing track files. I just allow the GPS to accumulate data at all times it is on, and i never clear the memory.

I have a hiking trip later this year in which i hope to record the same as you for a week or two.

It's hard to find a good GPS logger that runs off AA batteries (no way you're going to get 8 days out of a standard battery, if you're willing to lug a golf-cart battery with you and leave the GPS connected to it then *maybe*). Semsons is a good dealer, but you're looking at around $75 for a GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr that will hold around 230K waypoints and has no way to add more memory. Loggers that take microSD cards are even more expensive, putting you into the realm of an Etrex Legend Hcx. The legend has a lot more features.

If you do decide to get a data logger find and read all the reviews you can. Lots of them are made for photo-tagging and aren't very rugged or waterproof. I have an i-Blue 821 that's worked OK, but it is definitely not up to surviving 8 days outdoors. It is not waterproof (not even water resistant) and uses a rechargeable, cell-phone type, battery that's good for at most 18 hours. The software can be finicky - the manufacturer supplied software was marginally functional, I found an open source program that works better but it's still a pain. It's also very easy to stop it logging since the only button on the thing is easy to press accidentally and it functions as the on/off switch and the start/stop logging switch.

I think a good handheld is going to be the better choice overall.

I just log the data to an internal flash. The data can be downloaded from the device by a usb cable. Depens of the area (forest, houses or rain) it can log some 100h to 200h of moving. (still testing with 1 point per min)

That looks like a cool project. If it works will you post how you built it?

I have to agree.. 8 days is a bit long for any batterylife of constant use. I use a Pharos BT-500, which uses their GPS-500 puck (Microsoft used to sell a stripped-down version pre-2010, that didn't do the data logging.) on a battery platform. You're still limited 18 hours constant, and I think the upper limit of readings is only 4500 before it either stops or circles back to logging at the beginning again. (depends on how you set it the last time it was hooked-up to the dongle to read it.) This came with their no-longer marketed 'Trips & Pics' package for geo-tagging photographs.

Once you wanted to read the data off, you had to unplug the GPS module from the battery deck, and connect it via USB to the computer, using a dongle that mated with the slot on the side of the puck. the program would need to be told to connect to it (as if it were a serial-RS-232 device, Here's the heads-up! Vista and Windows-7 do not have a native Prolific USB<-->Serial driver. It took trying to find a 64-bit driver from Prolific themselves.) it would then begin reading the NMEA stream from the GPS, until you clicked on the download icon, then it would download all the readings it had taken. You then could just save the data, or have it automatically match date-stamps to photos. Then, upon telling it to disconnect, it would ask you if you wanted to change the settings of the module, before disconnecting. (to clear the data, or keep it,change from dynamic to circular logging (once full, start off at the 1st reading again) or other setting switches.)

I've had mine for close to 2 years (long after Pharos stopped marketing it, Gotta love a chance find on eBay!) and I use it for photo tagging, or mapping out bus routes at work, by letting it ride along with a driver, so we can make corrections to their route sheet (should another driver need to cover their route, they'll be able to match the route pattern.)

Stephen (gelfling6)