Geocaching Challenges and Puzzles

I am looking at spicing up a bunch of multi-puzzle geocaches this year and was hoping to find some new ideas in the forums. I couldn't pull up any forum results so thought I would post here. I accidently posted this in organized geocaching thread, but wanted to originally post here for thoughts and opinions.

Currently, some of the ideas used include image puzzles, code breaking, key/combo and lock, hints to hidden/camoflauged caches, etc. I enjoy hosting group events, so I am always looking for competitive geocache challenges/puzzles as well. I am interested in hearing new ideas, suggestions, links, books and resources in regards to creating new challenges/puzzle ideas. I also enjoy including team building/leadership elements into the challenges which seem to enhance the geocache experience.

I would love to hear from you, and thanks in advance for any productive and positive feedback/criticism. I will also keep this post up to date with any great links/ideas submitted in hopes of making a permanent thread for this topic. If this topic has been discussed or posted elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

So what kind of puzzle do you want? There are tons of ideas out there... Do you want a puzzle for novices/experts/computer geeks/art fans/music lovers/geo-nerds? Easy/medium/hard/impossible?

The thing I love about puzzles is that they often challenge me to learn about something I had not had exposure to before.

My best advice would be to pick something that intrigues you - interests YOU - and that you find a fun challenge. Then work on using that to hide a set of coordinates. I can give you a bunch of ideas for puzzle caches that I've had and never got around to (probably hundreds) but the bottom line is to pick something that YOU think is fun so it doesn't become a chore to answer questions about the cache from people trying to solve it.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions about fun ways to hide coords. I try to look at puzzles around the country and have a good idea what is out there.

Also, to anyone who wants to discuss these things, there is a Yahoo group called GeoConundrum that has been dead for a while but should get active again before GeoWoodstock. The idea is not to give out coordinates or spoilers but to have a forum for puzzle nuts around the country to point out good ones to look at. (There are still a few in CA driving me nuts, and though I'll never get out there to find them it is still a fun challenge - maybe we should be able to get a 1/2 smiley for figuring out the puzzle...)

Enjoy, and remember, have fun!

(There are still a few in CA driving me nuts, and though I'll never get out there to find them it is still a fun challenge - maybe we should be able to get a 1/2 smiley for figuring out the puzzle...)

Just to get some activity, and to ask for clarification on this small point...

Is your CA reference... CAlifornia the US state, or CAnada the country, home to myself and the OP?

Lots of good puzzles in both locations...

It's a long winter and I've been solving a few around myself, both long distance and nearby waiting for the weather...

Doug