Wisconsin benchmarks discrepancies

Hoodoo

I posted the following into the Midwest/Wisconsin area of the forums thinking it was more properly suited there. Several respondents advised posting it into this section. Therefore, please pardon the duplicate postings.

-----

The benchmarks listed below are listed as being within the range of a nearest location in northern Wisconsin. The coordinates seem proper but the given location descriptions for each one state that they are allegedly located "In OKANOGAN county, WA". I do not understand these discrepancies. Can anyone shed some light on the possible reason for this. A simple data transcription error perhaps?

I did a preliminary search for one or more of these benchmarks while in the respective areas, but, wasn't successful in finding them.

QM0307

QM0308

QM0311

QM0317

Information from a now-forgotten website:

Details for OKANOGAN, WA

ZIP Code: 98840

City: OKANOGAN

County: OKANOGAN

State: WASHINGTON

State Code: WA

Latitude: 48.3

Longitude: -119.7

icon_confused.gif

We had a similiar case a while back and it took some digging to figure out what happened. Based on that, I did some digging on this one and this is what I found:

1. The datasheets on GC are obviously incorrect.

2. The datasheets on the NGS site are correct.

3. There are benchmarks in WA with the same station name (i.e. designation) that also have the same 1951 history descriptions. The station names are B29, C29, etc.

My conclusion is that in 1951 the updates that the USGS sent in were somehow applied to the benchmarks with correct station name but wrong state. The datasheets were still incorrect at the time Jeremy got them from the NGS. But, since then, someone has notified the NGS of the problem and it was corrected. If you go to the NGS web site and lookup the PIDs that you list, you will get the corrected version.